Shooting Reala - Tips needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonadez

Feb 27, 2006
I have recently shot some Reala during my oversea trip but the colour appeared to be over saturated. No colour correction was being done during the printing. I have rated it 1 stop higher during the shooting and the crystal clear water turns up to be bright, eye-irritating blue or cyan. I have read some mixed opinion about the usage of Reala and appreciates some genuine tips to help me improve the photo taking skills.

I was just wondering that is it due to the over-exposure causing over-saturation and since it was not corrected during printing stage (to be printed slightly darker), the photos became nightmare.

i thinK its just hte way reala is meant to be. thats what reala is all about. high contrast and saturation ISO100 film. it is forgiving with a wide latitude and so i think the +1 is not a problem. :)

I shot some slides years back and the saturation level is pretty eye smoothing. When I saw the prints from Reala, that over-saturated blue/green is too unrealistic for me, even a bit irritating for normal viewing. Just wondering did I miss out something. I actually feel that I should shoot it without any compensation, which will bring down the saturation level and generates more texture for the white sandy beach :(

thanks Isaiahfortythirtyone, i think it's a bit over-saturated for my first experience with Reala.

thanks blackandwhite, i got the same feeling.

lemonadez said:
I have recently shot some Reala during my oversea trip but the colour appeared to be over saturated. No colour correction was being done during the printing. I have rated it 1 stop higher during the shooting and the crystal clear water turns up to be bright, eye-irritating blue or cyan. I have read some mixed opinion about the usage of Reala and appreciates some genuine tips to help me improve the photo taking skills.

I was just wondering that is it due to the over-exposure causing over-saturation and since it was not corrected during printing stage (to be printed slightly darker), the photos became nightmare.
Although Reala is not a professional film, I treat it like one. Professional film should be used as rated to get the best result. They don't work like consumer film. Same for Kodak Portra VC and NC. Give them a try also and see if you prefer the Reala or the Kodak VC or NC.

Fuji-http://www.silverprint.co.uk/colf6.html
Kodak-http://www.silverprint.co.uk/colf5.html

I rated mine 1 stop higher and get my favourite lab to correct it during printing stage. So far so good, no more over-saturated colour.

blackandwhite said:
I rated mine 1 stop higher and get my favourite lab to correct it during printing stage. So far so good, no more over-saturated colour.
So you're shooting under by 1 stop? If so, then you will not reap the benefit of the fine grain (RMS=4) the film can give. How do the shadows turn out?

Hmm...interesting...if you are not looking for the saturation offered by Reala, why not just use the normal Superia 100?

blackandwhite said:

Sorry, I meant one stop "lower". Just need a slight darkening during printing and it will be just right.

I've been shooting NPC/NPS and tend to prefer the more saturaed look at NPC so far. NPZ (hard to find now) is rated at 800 but best shot at 640 and processed normaly :)

raptor84 said:
I've been shooting NPC/NPS and tend to prefer the more saturaed look at NPC so far. NPZ (hard to find now) is rated at 800 but best shot at 640 and processed normaly :)

have not tried NPC before but am definitely interested to shoot some for comparison with Reala. have you tried comparing both before? I supposed NPC is slightly more saturated than superia but less than that of Reala?

I have haver treid reala before :D i wont be shooting that anytime soon as i have to finish my current stock of NPS and NPZ before it expires :D

blackandwhite said:
Sorry, I meant one stop "lower". Just need a slight darkening during printing and it will be just right.
So you're overexposing by a stop instead. Wouldn't that give you an even higher contrast? I think you might lose quite a bit of highlight details.

if u print without any correction, u will lose quite some highlight details. i printed the same photo with correction, the saturation level becomes more acceptable and most highlight details were retained. i think it is basically personal preference, some might like those very saturated photo, but i prefer saturated and yet realistic photo. definitely reala is the way to go with some fine-tuning.

raptor84, if u have excess NPS, maybe u can sell it to me, so that u can then get a Reala for comparison. haha. i am interested to try other films.

Status
Not open for further replies.