Shooting RAW

Diavonex

Sep 23, 2008
Admiralty
Do you set the following to default when shooting RAW?

1. Brightness
2. WB
3. Contrast
4. Color
5. Sharpness

Any good tips for a "RAW" newbie? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

1. Brightness
2. WB
3. Contrast
4. Color
5. Sharpness

Err.. all of these wont affect the "raw image" ...

I will set them if i m takin JPEG + RAW

dial down the EV a little to avoid blowning out the brightest areas of an image too much ...... any image editing software is going to have problems working with pure white

I customized them..but only really bother about them if take JPG+RAW...haha...

dial down the EV a little to avoid blowning out the brightest areas of an image too much ...... any image editing software is going to have problems working with pure white

Very good point. Thanks ed9119!

outdoors -2/3 EV
indoors set it back to 0 EV

this is purely personal .......... above is my personal preference

I did the opposite when shooting RAW. Unless a lot of bright areas, I try dial up +1/3 EV in the spirit of "expose to the right". Well, not really expose to the right but I suppose since the in-camera histogram only shows JPEG results. Hopefully can cram a bit more details as now using RAW. Can always recover later if necessary. :think:

yeah, there's some very risky assumption, namely that the JPEG histogram is an incomplete reflection by the (evaluative) metering of the scene. Hmm.. just experimenting and see what comes out. :dunno:

I did the opposite when shooting RAW. Unless a lot of bright areas, I try dial up +1/3 EV in the spirit of "expose to the right". Well, not really expose to the right but I suppose since the in-camera histogram only shows JPEG results. Hopefully can cram a bit more details as now using RAW. Can always recover later if necessary. :think:

yeah, there's some very risky assumption, namely that the JPEG histogram is an incomplete reflection by the (evaluative) metering of the scene. Hmm.. just experimenting and see what comes out. :dunno:

I sometimes do the same too, esp. shooting a person in very bright places like sandy beaches - the cam sensor may sometimes will be "fooled" to underexpose the shots if left at auto settings. But seriously, no strict rules here. Shoot and check histogram regularly in the context of the subject matter.

CamInit/LifeInMacro, thank you for sharing your experiences.

Spend the whole of this morning shooting RAW at Raffles Place.

It's very time consuming converting RAW to JPEG but the results are very satisfying.

ed9119, thank you for the tip on under-exposing when shooting outdoor, it does preserve the precious highlights (e.g. the sky) when shooting landscape.

When shooting RAW, I no longer have to bracket my exposure when shooting delicate subject.

It's also very easy to achieve the correct exposure (brightness), contrast and saturation.

I now leave all my in-camera settings at default.

stick to raw and do leave it a bit underexposed outdoors

When I was shooting JPEG, I use to spent time fine tuning my in-camera settings for perfection, keeping PP to the bare minimum.

I still believe that all beginners should still learn to play with their in-camera settings before switching to RAW.

This will give them a better understanding of what exposure, contrast, saturation and sharpness is all about.

1. Brightness
2. WB
3. Contrast
4. Color
5. Sharpness

I keep most to default when I shoot RAW. I just dial up one unit for 'colour' and 'sharpness'.

Numnumball pointed out to me that the in-camera settings (e.g. brightness, contrast, sharpness etc.) does not affect the RAW file.

It only come into play when you shoot JPEG or RAW+JPEG.

I keep most to default when I shoot RAW. I just dial up one unit for 'colour' and 'sharpness'.

Think depends on the intentions. Seen suggestions on something like keeping to minimum to optimize for exposure to right for histogram reading. Another way could be to use the in-camera settings so that more efficient for batch conversion to JPEG say, under DPP. Only selected few gets additional RAW treatment.

For me, I just select customized my average settings. Since 500D LCD actually good enough to make some crappy photos look good, can make people go wow while in camera preview. After that go home and narrow down those can-make-it shots, fine-tune in LR/PS, then can wow people a second time. Hopefully leaves better impression. :bsmilie: