Shooting portriats @ which is ISO better ? "p

Status
Not open for further replies.

cytan

Jun 4, 2008
Bendemeer
Hi guys,

I was wonder which ISO to use when shooting portriats outdoor. Initially my understanding was to keep ISO as low at possible which i kept at ISO 100 but noticed that some are shooting at ISO 200 too .

Just wondering can be the possible reasons for it ?

Thanks for any enlightenment ! "p

Hi guys,

I was wonder which ISO to use when shooting portriats outdoor. Initially my understanding was to keep ISO as low at possible which i kept at ISO 100 but noticed that some are shooting at ISO 200 too .

I've been shooting portraits for years and to me, i always adjust my ISO according to the lighting situation, from 50 to a max of 800.

Hi guys,

some ppl like to add a bit of "artistic feel" by increasing the ISO to get the noise.

the usage of ISO will depend on what effect u are trying to acheive.

reason why most shoot at ISO200 (especially Nikon 6MP camera d50,70,40... etc) is becos thats the lowest ISO available... but it doesn't matter much, almost all dSLR have noiseless ISO200...

sometimes the increased ISO is used if the photog wants a higher shutter speed so as to freeze motion... Even if its all nice and bright outdoors, the higher ISO value can save that picture of a rare passing moment!! but if its gonna be a posed portait and all, the lower ISO would be good to reduce noise and all~

Hi guys,

I always shoot at ISO 100 unless not enough light.

Thanks alot guys for the tip "p

there is no solid answer or one size fits all solution

unless you don't know what you are doing, i have seen good portraits shot at anything from iso 100- iso 3200 (grainy, mind you)

The "native" ISO of some sensors is actually 200, so you get the most detail when at that setting.

technically, the lower the ISO, the better it is.
cos noise can be added in pp.
unless your shutter speed is reali low and you're without a tripod...
go up to a max of 800.
ISO 100 and ISO 200 wont be of much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.