shooting pets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy

May 19, 2003
Singapore, Central
Visit site
ok this post is about taking pictures of pets and and not literally shooting them... :D

was trying to take a pic of my yorkshire terrier without flash but the shots turn out rather dark even though he is fully lighted by window light. selected shutter speed of 1/125 at f2.8. shots using flash turn out fine.. any pointers??

try a higher ISO.. sometimes not really good that you flash your dog as their eyes may be subjected to too bright of a light (such as flash light) and be blinded. do a search on pet photography.. there's quite a few tips and examples around

buddy

May 19, 2003
Singapore, Central
Visit site
SniperD said:
try a higher ISO.. sometimes not really good that you flash your dog as their eyes may be subjected to too bright of a light (such as flash light) and be blinded. do a search on pet photography.. there's quite a few tips and examples around
yes, my other dog hates the flash so i normally shoot without it. howver, i saw this great portrait shot of this horse taken by andy rouse using AP at f8.0 and ISO50 and i am pretty sure he didnt use any flash..

jimtong

May 8, 2002
Singapore
jimmyto.ng
buddy said:
ok this post is about taking pictures of pets and and not literally shooting them... :D

was trying to take a pic of my yorkshire terrier without flash but the shots turn out rather dark even though he is fully lighted by window light. selected shutter speed of 1/125 at f2.8. shots using flash turn out fine.. any pointers??
Hi, is the window light pointing towards you? What I mean is that you might be in a situation where window light act as a backlight and cos your dog to become dark or sometime shadow. Use a spot meter might helps.

Better if you can post your photo for us to see.

buddy

May 19, 2003
Singapore, Central
Visit site
jimtong said:
Hi, is the window light pointing towards you? What I mean is that you might be in a situation where window light act as a backlight and cos your dog to become dark or sometime shadow. Use a spot meter might helps.

Better if you can post your photo for us to see.
no, window behind me. dog is nicely lit by the morning light and is not backlit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom