Shooting Panaroma

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent

Dec 23, 2004
Want to ask what are the steps tot aking good panoramas

i know a tripod is esential, but do i leave the cam stationary on the tripod and just pan the cam (ie tripod remains in fixed position) or do i move the tripod around?

I panned the cam here:

or
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/2506/panohm4.jpg

but one can see its not 'straight'

so does it mean i should move the tripod around instead?

hope you guys get what i mean

any tips on how to shoot good panorama?

In manual is a must for me and of cos same exposure.

As for moving linear with tripod, i think it is not necessary. I shoot all pana walk around.
Results are good..or very good for myself imo.

if shooting a long flat pano in a confined area like a room or corridor, like the example, it is better to move the tripod...use the seams of floor tiling, or a piece of string stretched tight, as a guide to position your tripod...do not adjust the tripod while shooting...use manual so your exposure would not vary from one shot to another...:)

if shootin subject that is very far away like a landscape, or a multirow pano, it is better to move the tripod head...of course, a pano head would be even better...:)

theRBK said:
if shooting a long flat pano in a confined area like a room or corridor, like the example, it is better to move the tripod...use the seams of floor tiling, or a piece of string stretched tight, as a guide to position your tripod...do not adjust the tripod while shooting...use manual so your exposure would not vary from one shot to another...:)

if shootin subject that is very far away like a landscape, or a multirow pano, it is better to move the tripod head...of course, a pano head would be even better...:)
thanks for the advice

wat is a pano head? and wat u mean by mvoe tripod head? pan the cam?

2 Easiest ways:

1. If you're using digital, get a very wide lens, then crop top and bottom. :bsmilie:
2. If you're using film, consider in investing in a XPan or TX... :bigeyes:

If both not feasible, then as follows:

1. When the subject is 2 near, then it is better to move the tripod around. Try to keep the horizon near to the center of the picture. Give plenty of space allowance on top and bottom. Then when stiching, stretch the pics abit and if the top and bottom corners are out, you can crop them.
2. When the subject is far, then you can just move the camera instead of the tripod. I guess a 3 way head will do the trick.
3. Like what the rest suggest, use manual exposure. :thumbsup: This will ensure the photos are exposed evenly.

Cheers!

bent said:
wat is a pano head?
it is a tripod head that lets you adjust the point of rotation of the camera on a tripod so you won't get parallex error...here's a page explaining the possibility of parallex error in pano shooting:

http://www.edb.utexas.edu/teachnet/QTVR/NodalPoint.htm

not telling you to buy one if you don't do a lot of pano cause its not cheap...

bent said:
and wat u mean by mvoe tripod head? pan the cam?
yah :)

Status
Not open for further replies.