shooting outside shopping malls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdzign

Nov 26, 2008
east side
Hi there!
i was planning to have a photoshoot just outside some of the malls in orchard rd? will be collaborating with a stylist. not for commercial use. but for our own portfolio. was wondering if i can just normally do my thing outside the malls or is there anything that i should take note of. like some procedure etc. do advice me on this matter. thanks!

Search the forum for 'shopping mall', your topic has been discussed lengthy just recently.

If the mall façade is included, you'd better have requested permission from the management. I've been commissioned to shoot about 15 malls here and even though I had permission, at every mall, I still had to report to the security for a pass. That said, I've seen people shooting without any passes or anything... but well, you never know what you can end up to... afterall, they're private properties.

be prepare to be shoo by security guard... they will just use security as an excuse to shoo you off....

Obtain a permit and pass. You are ok

you can simply ignore the so called security guards if you're outside the mall's grounds. they have no authority to interfere with what the public do outside the mall.

If the mall façade is included, you'd better have requested permission from the management. I've been commissioned to shoot about 15 malls here and even though I had permission, at every mall, I still had to report to the security for a pass. That said, I've seen people shooting without any passes or anything... but well, you never know what you can end up to... afterall, they're private properties.

If you are outside the mall, are you still on their private property?

If you are outside my house gate, how can I possibly say you are trespassing?

If you are outside the mall, are you still on their private property?

Actually, you could be.

In many cases, esp along Orchard Rd, the private/public property boundaries extend beyond the buildings themselves, sometimes well beyond. Take Ngee Ann City, for example -- the large area around the fountain is private property.

The boundaries are not always clear. I did a lot of the planning for a Starbucks Christmas Open House promo in 2007, and had the 'pleasure' of applying for permits to place 8 giant cups along Orchard (you may remember them -- they were a popular spot for photos ;)). SLA (Singapore Land Authority) maintains the records, and I heard that the boundaries change every now and then. I even found a little spot of land that SLA said was not public land, but which the building management said wasn't theirs either -- go figure!

Now, if you're just shooting for yourself, dealing with the SLA may be more pain than you're willing to go through. Dealing with building management may not be much fun either -- some are better than others, but bearing in mind you aren't commissioned by a tenant, have no government affiliation and are not acting on behalf of a registered charity (all of which helped me!), you may not get much joy.

Shooting from public land is probably far less bothersome, but beware of making too much of a nuisance and causing any obstruction to pedestrian traffic -- if there's a complaint, your shoot may be interrupted by the cops.

I'd suggest that if security stops you, ask them where their property ends, and pull back to there -- as far as I remember, few of them own the land all the way to the walkways adjacent to the road.
Or be sneaky: ask them if you can talk to the management, send one of your party in, and quickly finish your shoot.
In either case, plan your shoot well and execute quickly -- don't linger.

Last edited:
Actually, you could be.

In many cases, esp along Orchard Rd, the private/public property boundaries extend beyond the buildings themselves, sometimes well beyond. Take Ngee Ann City, for example -- the large area around the fountain is private property.

The boundaries are not always clear. I did a lot of the planning for a Starbucks Christmas Open House promo in 2007, and had the 'pleasure' of applying for permits to place 8 giant cups along Orchard (you may remember them -- they were a popular spot for photos ;)). SLA (Singapore Land Authority) maintains the records, and I heard that the boundaries change every now and then. I even found a little spot of land that SLA said was not public land, but which the building management said wasn't theirs either -- go figure!

Now, if you're just shooting for yourself, dealing with the SLA may be more pain than you're willing to go through. Dealing with building management may not be much fun either -- some are better than others, but bearing in mind you aren't commissioned by a tenant, have no government affiliation and are not acting on behalf of a registered charity (all of which helped me!), you may not get much joy.

Shooting from public land is probably far less bothersome, but beware of making too much of a nuisance and causing any obstruction to pedestrian traffic -- if there's a complaint, your shoot may be interrupted by the cops.

I'd suggest that if security stops you, ask them where their property ends, and pull back to there -- as far as I remember, few of them own the land all the way to the walkways adjacent to the road.
Or be sneaky: ask them if you can talk to the management, send one of your party in, and quickly finish your shoot.
In either case, plan your shoot well and execute quickly -- don't linger.

Mmm I see. Thanks for the insight. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all the advice. I really appreciate it! I will take note of that..

Status
Not open for further replies.