Shooting of some dresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

humchinpang

Aug 7, 2008
My friend is asking me to help her to shoot some dresses for her to post on line. Can I just get a white wall as background and get 2 stand lamps with white lighting to help out while I snap the pics? Will be using a Nikon D40X with 18-105VR for the shoot. Think this will work? Sorry, just trying to help. Appreciate all advices. :)

yes you can, but is the dresses hand by it own or somebody is wearing it?

Should be hanging on their own unless we can find some chio models to wear it. Btw, will there be any diff if hang on their own or wear by models. Thanks for your reply catchlights, really appreciate it. Thanks again. :)

if hand on their own, you can set up tripod and slowly shoot.

if wore by model, it is better to use flash to shoot. model can't hold their pose for you to shoot low shutter speed.

Got it. Thanks alot for your help catchlights. Maybe will try out first. Thanks again. :)

please dont use those energy saving lights...its light source is monochrome...

So do u mean use those cheap light bulb? When u mean energy saving lights, u mean those daylight lightbulbs from Philips n Osram right? Thanks for your word of caution. :)

Should be hanging on their own unless we can find some chio models to wear it.

Usually for dress shots, you really do not need a chio model ... You only need the dress to be fitting on the person. Most of these shots are done from chin down ... don't need to see face. Just have to have the right body for the dress.

Yup! I mean figure also must chio right, if not the dress will not look appealing to the buyers. Anyway thanks. The friend I am helping is a Auntie liao, cant find anyone suitable to wear her product. :(

What do you mean?
Maybe he mean using the lights to light the subjects, the subjects will become b&w....

anyway, that's a cool idea.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Got it. Thanks alot for your help catchlights. Maybe will try out first. Thanks again. :)

The other thing about hanging on its own and someone wearing it is that if it's just hanging, it's flat, 2D. If you do not want to get someone to wear it, best to get a mannequin for such purposes.

The other thing about hanging on its own and someone wearing it is that if it's just hanging, it's flat, 2D. If you do not want to get someone to wear it, best to get a mannequin for such purposes.
oh yes, get a mannequin, perfect figure, excellent attitude, easy to work with...
will not show up late, taking hours to makeup......

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Maybe a black background plus 2 lights may highlight the color of the dress better than a white background? I always use black background to shoot anything related to fabric since it won't confuse with the color of it... except if the dress is black, of course...

oh yes, get a mannequin, perfect figure, excellent attitude, easy to work with...
will not show up late, taking hours to makeup......

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Yah.. can position it anyway you like also.. ;p

Agreed. IMO the best advice given. Don't hang the clothes or even worse place them flat.

Thanks guys for the advice. Still have not got her call yet so still on standby. Will see what she can provide. Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.