Shooting mode with 50mm/f1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

runes

Sep 18, 2005
Can advise? What modes do you set your camera when shooting :

Do you use P mode or just follow what you're shooting, i.e., if shooting potrait then use potrait, if shooting macro use macro, shooting landscape use landscape modes...?

My advice is to use Apertature priority mode. For macros and portraits you would normally use a smaller f number so as to get the b/g blurred out :) Land scapes generally use larger f numbers to have a better depth of field. 50mm is more for protrait shots (alhtough 80 or 85would be better) and unless is a stated as macro the minimum focus disntacne is usually quite far (abt 40 cm? )

Yes, aperture-priority will give you a much better control. Moreover if you're good enough to own a DSLR, i don't see the purpose of using any preset shooting modes.. might as well spend lesser and get a prosumer cam instead. :embrass:

i find the 50mm 1.8 a great lens to use and own. i have no qualms about using it at f/1.8 becos its very usable. sure its not as sharp compared to when its at f/6.3(my len's sweet spot - sharp corner to corner on my copy), but its usable. but do take care because when at f/1.8, the DOF is really really shallow so some people/objects become out of focus

runes said:
Can advise? What modes do you set your camera when shooting :

Do you use P mode or just follow what you're shooting, i.e., if shooting potrait then use potrait, if shooting macro use macro, shooting landscape use landscape modes...?

Isn't it ironic that all those modes were introduced to simplify camera operation and save time, but now one has to spend a lot of time thinking about what would be the appropriate mode for a given situation...? :)

When I walk around, I have my digital camera set to P for no-hassle, quick response. (On my film bodies, I use aperture priority or manual, because that's all they can do.) As much as there is to be said in favour of aperture priority, I frequently experience that if there's enough time to decide on a specific aperture, there's also enough time to go completely manual.

LittleWolf said:
Isn't it ironic that all those modes were introduced to simplify camera operation and save time, but now one has to spend a lot of time thinking about what would be the appropriate mode for a given situation...? :)

When I walk around, I have my digital camera set to P for no-hassle, quick response. (On my film bodies, I use aperture priority or manual, because that's all they can do.) As much as there is to be said in favour of aperture priority, I frequently experience that if there's enough time to decide on a specific aperture, there's also enough time to go completely manual.

I think that is a most sensible approach to using the various options.

Status
Not open for further replies.