Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
Do you know .. ???

"Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It
will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultimate on
Aug 27 when Mars comes within 34.65 M.Miles of earth. Be sure to watch the
sky on Aug. 27 2005, at 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.
The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Share this with yr
friends ! as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again"

Received this message and not sure it's accurate or not.....
Juz want those interested to shoot to be prepared for this Sat midnite shoot ....

dun waste your time ... urban legend ... if you can figure out which one is Mars early in the morning about 6 am every morning, then you can be on the way to shoot ...

w less than 1 week to the date, you still cannot see anything, so why bother? Anyway, this email supposed to come out last yr ... floating around another year to con ppl ... sigh x 2

good luck with your 600mm.. you might want to check out wai's signature.

anyway, the info is fake

+evenstar said:
So it's on August 27th at 0030hrs or on August 28h 0030hrs?

Hopefully a 600mm is long enough...

I am using a 1200mm telescope (prime focus) to shoot the moon to have it come out nice nice 4R ... 600 mm for Mars may still be quite a stretch ...

Moon_01.jpg

Nah, i think the information of Mars close to earth is real. But the closest it had been was 2 years ago (or was it last year).

I doubt a 600mm will do. This one seriously need telescope, and taking photo of it decently would need a camera attached to the telescope.

Not to mention good sky and weather.....

Anyway there will be a public event, known as Mars Watch by some really active and enthu. SG astronomers coming up. If you guys are interested, i go find out more about it :)

nice info,it's actually in october 2005 and not august 2005.

sure bo /

Just went out and have a look ...

Not Big Lay .. or i looking at wrong Star ,, but nothing in the Sky is bigger than the moon wor .. 1 moon one ..

Wrong info ?

What a load of crap. This is only believable if we think that mars is like a few moons away. It takes our current technology to reach the moon in about 3 days; and theoretically 6 months or more to reach mars (assuming if life support is feasible). Now let's imagine that kind of distance. The only time mars can be as large as the full moon is when I use photoshop to do the job.

I recall that back in 1980 when I was very little, there was this phenomenal where all the planets in the solar system was aligned in a straight line (from earth's view). This I think only happens once in 500 years. that morning, my brother used a amateur telescope to look for the planets. Due to its sizes, we saw Jupitar and Saturn (even its rings were noticeable). What a sight!

Status
Not open for further replies.