Shooting landscape using f2.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicklit

Aug 29, 2009
Yesterday I go to have some shoot with my 2 of my buddies on Marrina Barrage. After that, we go to Marina Sq to have dinner, which we take a look each others result...
Looking at one of my friend's result, I found quite interesting that all his landscape is shoots using f2.8 (he used a 5D and 16-35 f2.8 L). When I asks why he using f2.8, not step down to let say f8 to achieve deep focus, he even more surprise. From his reason, since his lens is a high quality one, he no need to step down like any one of those cheapo lenses. Even he reasoning, step down the aperture only wasted his lens' f2.8 availability. The other friend also try to reasoning with him and try to explain about deep focus, but seems he stands firm with his reason that f2.8 able to produce good landscape pics.

What do you guys thinking?
Normally I always step down to min f8-f10 when trying to achieve deep focus, and I believe this is also applicable to any L lenses (I don't have any)

Clearly he doesn't understand whats DOF.
His gear doesn't justify his skills.

Shooting at max aperture has the following issues:

- Lower depth of field
- Possible vignetting issues
- Typically not be the sharpest the lens can achieve

When shooting landscapes, the first may not be perceivable when given your images a cursory glance, as you'll probably be focusing near infinity.

The last 2 points may be obvious.

Regardless, the images obtained are far from useless, and is typically ruined by poor composition rather the above mentioned technical aspects.

Still, I shoot at about f/8 to f/11 most of the time.

Maybe he likes landscape with a shallow dof for more bokeh.

I shot landscape at f1.4-f2, sometimes f2.8. Taiwan. :bsmilie: But got people element inside. Actually more of enviromental portraits lah....but wait they are not portraits.
So landscape loh.... Perhaps the light was low? In wintry countries, 4pm its getting dark already, if its rainy/cloudy it is worse.

Vignetting, low DOF are not issues for landscape, perhaps they want a certain mood. Composition/photographer don't know how to compose - bigger issues.

With a 24mm f1.4, f1.4 gives you pretty sharp pictures already. f2 is tack sharp, sharper than quite a number of lenses at f4-f5.6. - good for taking twilight pix.

Last edited:
It's interesting you asked this question today... cos just this afternoon, while having lunch, I was reading from the August 2010 issue of Digital Camera World, where Tom Mackie, a landscape photographer, gives this tip on how to get the best results: "Shoot in Aperture Priority - I always shoot in Aperture Priority mode when I'm doing landscape work, simply because it means I can choose the most appropriate f-stop and depth of field for the given situation. As a rule, I tend to use the optimal aperture for the lens I'm using, which tends to be between f/8 and f/14/"

I don't agree with your friend's reasoning but shooting landscape at f/2.8 is okay for ultra wides. Given the short focal length, you won't notice the out-of-focus if you are not doing huge printing. Maybe you would like to look at his pictures and see if they are okay. I have taken pictures of indoor architecture at f/2.8 and they look okay on my 13 inches computer screen.

Yesterday I go to have some shoot with my 2 of my buddies on Marrina Barrage. After that, we go to Marina Sq to have dinner, which we take a look each others result...
Looking at one of my friend's result, I found quite interesting that all his landscape is shoots using f2.8 (he used a 5D and 16-35 f2.8 L). When I asks why he using f2.8, not step down to let say f8 to achieve deep focus, he even more surprise. From his reason, since his lens is a high quality one, he no need to step down like any one of those cheapo lenses. Even he reasoning, step down the aperture only wasted his lens' f2.8 availability. The other friend also try to reasoning with him and try to explain about deep focus, but seems he stands firm with his reason that f2.8 able to produce good landscape pics.

Normally I always step down to min f8-f10 when trying to achieve deep focus, and I believe this is also applicable to any L lenses (I don't have any)
he is using such high-end camera and lens, must be very professional, surely he is correct. ;)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

From his reason, since his lens is a high quality one, he no need to step down like any one of those cheapo lenses. Even he reasoning, step down the aperture only wasted his lens' f2.8 availability.
Just because one can shoot at f/2.8 or wider doesn't mean one has to shoot at this setting.
Use setting appropriate for the situation. There must be a reason why landscapes are mostly taken with f/8 or smaller :think:

Last edited:
Just because one can shoot at f/2.8 or wider doesn't mean one has to shoot at this setting.
Use setting appropriate for the situation. There must be a reason why landscapes are mostly taken with f/8 or smaller :think:

TS. This has to do with the lens "sweet spot" and of course "deep focus". Least vignetting, sharpest... etc...

There is no hard and fast rule you have to or not to shoot at certain f number.
When we shoot landscapes, we like to achieve the sharpest possible for the whole frame. This include shooting at the "sweet spot" for the sharpest possible, use tripod....plus all others techniques and ways to achieve it.

If he like to shoot at f2.8 then let him shoot at f2.8 loh.... why force the cow to lower his head to drink water? :p

Last edited:

I think your friend has some issues with self esteem. :bsmilie:

and not to mention a good candidate as an actor in a movie I know that starts with a "J"......

Last edited:
I don't agree with your friend's reasoning but shooting landscape at f/2.8 is okay for ultra wides. Given the short focal length, you won't notice the out-of-focus if you are not doing huge printing. Maybe you would like to look at his pictures and see if they are okay. I have taken pictures of indoor architecture at f/2.8 and they look okay on my 13 inches computer screen.

Depend on which object to focus, some I found 'unwanted shallow DOF' which for my thinking can be improve using smaller f-stop
But generally, if just use it as wallpaper, should be good enough...

i think its actually excusable if the landscape in question does not require that "deep focus" for example if the subject is perpendicular to the plane of focus. but i would still stop down to f8 for the "sweet spot" :D

i think its actually excusable if the landscape in question does not require that "deep focus" for example if the subject is perpendicular to the plane of focus. but i would still stop down to f8 for the "sweet spot" :D

but why do it and risk soft photos? large apertures focused at infinity.... usually spells disaster for many lenses.

Actually what time were you guys shooting, since you mentioned dinner. You guys brought tripod? f8-f11, ISO-200 not easy to shoot at 6pm or so if you cannot get enough shutter speed. :)

maybe...if i didnt bring a tripod and wanted to hand hold...but i think if thats the case i would just go home to take my tripod :confused:

I do use f2.8 for landscapes in low light conditions (hand held) where not getting a blur picture is more important than shallower DOF.

Depend on which object to focus, some I found 'unwanted shallow DOF' which for my thinking can be improve using smaller f-stop
But generally, if just use it as wallpaper, should be good enough...

ts.... Let me suggest this to you. Go and take better landscape photo than this "friend". Nothing works better than showing it is done this way yourself.

I do use f2.8 for landscapes in low light conditions (hand held) where not getting a blur picture is more important than shallower DOF.

normally.... even the pro uses tripod to shoot landscape.... are you implying you are better than the pros??

normally.... even the pro uses tripod to shoot landscape.... are you implying you are better than the pros??

Sometimes bo bian mah....

I brought my 24/1.4 and SB900 along on vaction (actually I brought box only with SB-600 inside LOL!) so as to claim GST refund at the airport. Else I'd have taken my wife's PnS which is just a $199 cam. After claiming I threw the SB-900 box and SB-600 away liao. LOL! :D Biang you know how heavy and bulky sia.....

This one is from Taiwan Jiu fen. :bsmilie:

ISO 640, 1/2s, f1.4
original.jpg

Landscape portrait? Don't know how to catergorise lah... f1.4. (I got bracket with f2.8 and f5.6)
original.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.