Shooting items for web sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elutris

Mar 15, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
www.elutris.net
Hi,

I have been asked to take photos of some items to put on the web for sale by a company.

They do not have any studio settings nor do they allow me to bring the items (50 of them) back to shoot.

What I have to do is to go to their office to take photos of these items (such as clothings, tableware, accessories).

Do any of you have suggestions how I can go about shooting? I was thinking of just using a black or white cloth as a background and shoot like that.

As for the lighting, I am guessing it's going to be those normal office lighting.

Any comments or suggestions?

what camera/equipment were you plannign to use? office lighting is crap to shoot under for products, u probably have to supplement with a camera flash or something.

Am planning to use my F80 with a 50mm/1.8 and maybe a 28mm/2.8.

OR my Canon Powershot G1 cos they prefer digital shots that they can directly upload to the web. Will use my SLR only if the situation puts the G1 at a great disadvantage.

Background: Get a huge piece of white (or light coloured) paper to make seamless background. Attach a part of it to the wall, and let it gently slope and curve onto the table.

Lighting: Try using bounced flash and some reflectors.

The following is shot using the above setup.

extigy4.jpg

Regards
CK

watch out for the ambient fluorescent lights. they give those green casts to photos. guess that it wouldn't be much of a problem unless u use very low shutter speeds.:)

ckiang started you off on a good track, i add my 5 cents worth here:-

Since you are using digital, forget about what those ppl say about green casts - just do a custom white balance.

And also, you can do without flash - just make sure you have a table lamp and a suitably large reflector (white cardboard). Advantage of table lamp is that you can see what the effect is.

So, summary:-
1. Use a large piece of paper (white or lightly colored) for a seamless background.
2. Table lamp (fluorescent or bulb doesnt matter) - may want to add a diffuser (use tracing paper in front of the lamp, careful if using bulb cos it may burn)
3. Large reflector
4. Use custom white balance on your digicam

I had not done much products shot but had seen alot. The best is to use digital camera as you get to see what you had taken, Also if you bring a laptop along you can upload it to have a better view.
For background, do bring along a few colors, cos if you happen to bring only white the stuff you wanted to shoot also very near white then very hard to maket the object standout.
As for lighting, what I normally saw is the photographer normally use more then 1 flash. If those with only 1 flash on the the camera (SB28 or etc), they normally bounce it or use reflecters.

Status
Not open for further replies.