Shooting indoor with very orange/yellow lightings!!

moi-liang

Feb 1, 2009
Hey guys! Just wanna get some friendly advice from experts here!!

Anyone have advice on shooting inside the ROM room? which has yellow ceiling and orangery lightnings!
Its quite difficult to get the correct WB inside that room..

Last edited:
Why is it difficult? What exactly are you trying to do? What have you tried already and what are the results? Have you heard about shooting RAW? Are you using any additional lights or just using ambient light? Please be more specific where your problem is.
Hope it's not another case of "friend shooting friend's wedding for cheap". Just search for 'wedding' here and you'll find all general advices for such intentions.

Set custom white balance or shoot in RAW then correct in post.

nope not another case of shooting friend wedding haha! just had a few situations where the room lighting + paint of the room makes photos too orangery just using the ROM place as an example.. normally will play around with the WB according but cant seem to get it right.. anyway just a general discussion just wanna see how you guys handle this kind of situations! but yeah thanks will shoot in raw more often!

Last edited:
LOL....

I know, yellow ceiling and with yellow light, plus they ask you stand at a little corner, they want to give wannabe a hard time....

if you shoot in jpg, you will be a piece of dead meat. RAW is the way to go.

Do yourself a favor and get a white balance card. It will save you a ton of time in post.

Just like to clarify. I thought we could still adjust WB on a jpg image, couldn't we?

Of course I'm not advocating that we shouldn't get it right when shooting.

Just like to clarify. I thought we could still adjust WB on a jpg image, couldn't we?
You can, but your options are limited. Reason is the lossy jpg compression that removes all data which are not required to render the image and to create the respective user impression. There are several algorithms used (I think the specifications should be open by now), all of them remove data which are not required for the rendering of the actual image - but which are required if you want to change the white balance.
A very simplified example: an underwater image without WB preset will have lots of blue tones but limited or no green and red tones when you look at it. The RAW file will still capture everything what the sensor 'saw', although you might not recognize it when viewing the image. JPG compression will remove these data, because they are not required to render the blueish picture. Now, if you want to shift the WB towards warmer tones then there are simply no data available to do this. If you use RAW, then all sensor data are still there and can be used now, thus allowing the adjustments.

Of course I'm not advocating that we shouldn't get it right when shooting.
the ceiling and the warm light in the solemnization room of the ROM building is way too yellow, you won't able to correct it at the post if you shot in jpg. RAW is possible.

of course it is nice to do custom WB, but each couples only spend less than 10mins in the room, you want to custom balance, you want to find good spot, you want to capture photos, nobody is waiting for you.

the ceiling and the warm light in the solemnization room of the ROM building is way too yellow, you won't able to correct it at the post if you shot in jpg. RAW is possible.

of course it is nice to do custom WB, but each couples only spend less than 10mins in the room, you want to custom balance, you want to find good spot, you want to capture photos, nobody is waiting for you.

haha! someone who knows the problems i face! will try shooting in raw in future! thanks so much guys! and i hope future photographers shooting ROM will get a heads up !!

Correct way to set a good wb for such lighting is to use orange colour gel over the flash head, then do custom white balance with the flash fired. However, you probably won't have the luxury time.

Depending on your camera, you may be able to set wb bracketing 3 steps on the 2 colour axes. if thats the case, might as well just shoot raw since you won't have shot too many photos in the room anyway.

But note that shooting raw doesn't help unbalanced lighting colours, i.e. your flash and the ambience. Colour gel is still recommended. or if not, the other way to shoot jpeg with colour gel but without custom wb is to adjust the Kelvin settings.

Frankly, many people just blast the flash so that the whole room become white white.

Last edited:
This is how one of the solemnization room looks like, you can see how yellow is the ceiling, I shot with flash set at ceiling bounce, without gel, able to correct it at post.

DSC_5039_zps79920d98.jpg

DSC_5062_zpsd392b48a.jpg

Yes the light at ROM is very very yellow. Not only the room is yellow, even the waiting lobby is very yellow. But if you tune your white balance properly both temp and tint you can get it to acceptable levels.

Shot ambient in RAW and WB adjusted in post.

8362349749_0c77459446_z.jpg

8363414234_4c32f59e3c_z.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like RAW is the way to go here. jpg would be extremely hard. If you can enter the room beforehand, however, and make preparations. You can get a WB card to get it right. Oh, and the orange gel on flash idea is nice too!

It seems like RAW is the way to go here. jpg would be extremely hard. If you can enter the room beforehand, however, and make preparations. You can get a WB card to get it right. Oh, and the orange gel on flash idea is nice too!

There will be no way you can enter the room beforehand. When the couple's name is shown, you only have 15 mins in the room and all will be out the sliding glass door on the other side. Like a production line.

So who will you ask to hold the white balance card for you to do a custom wb? The couple? The registrar? Or just put it on the table? Lol

I fast hand fast leg make sure i don't missing any shots, do you think somebody inexprience able to have time to do this and that?

So who will you ask to hold the white balance card for you to do a custom wb? The couple? The registrar? Or just put it on the table? Lol

I fast hand fast leg make sure i don't missing any shots, do you think somebody inexprience able to have time to do this and that?

Some will argue that someone in the crowd sure wear white.
But I don't like such statement.

Some will argue that someone in the crowd sure wear white.
But I don't like such statement.

couple go in, sit down, everything starts to happen really fast. do you have time to shoot something white, and press buttons to set custom WB?
after vows are done, certificate given, the sliding window opens couple walk out, it becomes outdoor. You have 5-10s to shoot the couple with the yellow light in the background. To shoot before the door closes. Do you have time to readjust WB again?

Sometimes, if you try too hard to get every WB spot on, you will lose a lot of moments.

The interior designer who designed the ROM room designed it with the intention to weed out wannabe photographers.

Yellow light is one thing, cramped space is another, make sure you have 24mm for FX or 16mm for DX, or near.

And be prepared for friends bobbing you and pray hard your registrar is not a weird guy in bad mood.

Last edited: