Shooting indoor at Changi Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokka

Aug 17, 2002
terencesim.com
Hi guys

If shoot group shot of say ard 10 pax. Would a 50mm f1.8, no flash be sufficient to light up the pic?

Say 1/60 f5.6 no flash iso 200

Sorry, I'm a newbie, but would you consider using ISO 400 instead? Cause from what I know and learnt, ISO 400 is more ideal for indoor shoot.

wow... i am no expert here but i guess u got to be there in order to meter the light situation there. depending on your cam, i think keeping it to as low iso as possible to keep out noise but of cos u need stable hands or tripod...
as for speed-wise, depends on your aperture, but generally i think if no adverse light reflections, should be ok....

however, wait for the pros to come in and give u their time-tested recommendations...

Hi guys

If shoot group shot of say ard 10 pax. Would a 50mm f1.8, no flash be sufficient to light up the pic?

A 50mm for 10 pple?? Even if u're using a full frame DSLR, u've to stand quite far back. If u're not, even further back.

For settings wise i'd recommend f/2.8, ISO 400 in aperture priority mode.

Hi guys

Try a 24mm, f5.6 should be decent and depending on location, I think you're safer with ISO 400.

May I make a bold suggestion? Assuming it's in the day time, if the group of 10 people are having their backs facing the bright sunny outdoor of the airport terminal, then I think flash will be required and ISO can be set 200.

However, if their backs facing the internal of the airport terminal, then flash will not be required (but can be optional if it's at night) and ISO can set to 400 for better result.

Pros and experts, please correct me if I'm wrong. As I'm also learning and honing my skills. Thanks.

May I make a bold suggestion? Assuming it's in the day time, if the group of 10 people are having their backs facing the bright sunny outdoor of the airport terminal, then I think flash will be required and ISO can be set 200.

However, if their backs facing the internal of the airport terminal, then flash will not be required (but can be optional if it's at night) and ISO can set to 400 for better result.

Pros and experts, please correct me if I'm wrong. As I'm also learning and honing my skills. Thanks.

back facing the bright sunny outdoor...u need a strobe already to light them up...

Sorry, I'm a newbie, but would you consider using ISO 400 instead? Cause from what I know and learnt, ISO 400 is more ideal for indoor shoot.

btw...where did you learn that from?

Hi guys

why dun use your kit lens instead? why dun you use A mode instead...let the camera decide for you?

The best would be to use a tripod, and set a smaller aperture to ensure there is enough DOF for your group shot. If tripod is not feasible, then an external flash may be required. At night, flash will be necessary especially if you set a small aperture.

back facing the bright sunny outdoor...u need a strobe already to light them up...

I agree with you on this point, otherwise you get a bright background with your subjects as silhouettes.

why dun use your kit lens instead? why dun you use A mode instead...let the camera decide for you?

I suppose if he ain't using a tripod, Aperture priority mode might give you a slow shutter speed, possibily increase the probability of causing handshake blurs. That is unless you up your ISO and use a larger aperture. Many kit lens starts from an aperture size of f/3.5 at its widest angle. I guess he chose the 50mm f/1.8 to maintain low ISO and faster shutter speeds. I feel its a balance between Quality, DOF and sharpness.

Hi guys

it depends on the light source. if there is backlight (lighting coming from behind your subject), fllash will be extremely useful. otherwise, 50mm should cover 10 pax, and if lighting is quite good, try opening the aperture a bit, and maybe ISO 400

Hi guys

At 1/60 f5.6 no flash iso 200, not much chance even in the day. :nono:

In the day (without strong backlight), my noob guess will be 1/4 F3.5 ISO400.
If I were u, I would do a test shot and check my LCD 1st. (assuming u not using Flim) ;)

I suppose if he ain't using a tripod, Aperture priority mode might give you a slow shutter speed, possibily increase the probability of causing handshake blurs. That is unless you up your ISO and use a larger aperture. Many kit lens starts from an aperture size of f/3.5 at its widest angle. I guess he chose the 50mm f/1.8 to maintain low ISO and faster shutter speeds. I feel its a balance between Quality, DOF and sharpness.

his setting he might be using is below...thats why i recomend the kit lens..

tried ISO400, shutter speed 1/10, F5.6, no flash at night indoors... no problems..

when do a group photos, hardly go bigger than f4, unless you want someone face not sharp.

and no flash for indoor, ISO has to be at least 400 or higher,

shoot hand held with no flash, speed can't go below 1/(focal length of lens use), unless you have hands of steel, using VR lens or using tripod.

shooting human as subject, unless you ask the person to hold still, else 1/60 is very safe for no motion blur.

simple solution for you in this situation .... JUST USE FLASH, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/60!!

Hi guys

dun u have a kit lens? 18-70? or 18-55? or 18-135?
1. With a kit lens u can get wider shots..hence u dun have to position urself too far away from the group

2. Shooting a group of 10..its advisable to use an aperture of f5.6 and higher..to get better DOF(most of the ppl in focus/sharp)..hence the f1.8 won't help here

3. Indoor photography, during the film age, most would use at least an ISO400 film, play safe..hope u get what i mean

4. Utilize ur build in flash, put camera to aperture priority, but do remember to remove lens hood

5. If really really dun want to use flash..use spot meter, auto ISO, f5.6, assuming u noe how to meter

his setting he might be using is below...thats why i recomend the kit lens..

I see your point and I agree. What I thought was that he would have an aperture flexibility of f/1.8 all the way down to f/22 with the 50mm prime. Does make sense that a zoom would be more versatile if it can do the job :)

when do a group photos, hardly go bigger than f4, unless you want someone face not sharp.

and no flash for indoor, ISO has to be at least 400 or higher,

shoot hand held with no flash, speed can't go below 1/(focal length of lens use), unless you have hands of steel, using VR lens or using tripod.

shooting human as subject, unless you ask the person to hold still, else 1/60 is very safe for no motion blur.

simple solution for you in this situation .... JUST USE FLASH, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/60!!

:thumbsup: for good advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.