Shooting in Shopping Centres

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
I know such threads would irritate some people, as they would say "it has been discussed many times" and "google is your best friend".

But what i am asking is only pertaining to shopping malls and within.

So my questions are, are we allowed to:
1. shoot at other shoppers, be it full face or side view?
2. shoot at the retail shops with the shop names?
3. shoot at the products on the shelf within the shops?
4. shoot at my friends/family against the backdrop of those products on shelf?

Because at some places, i did #2 and #4 with no problem.
While sometimes, i ask permission on #3 but was rejected.

I know such threads would irritate some people, as they would say "it has been discussed many times" and "google is your best friend".

But what i am asking is only pertaining to shopping malls and within.

So my questions are, are we allowed to:
1. shoot at other shoppers, be it full face or side view?
2. shoot at the retail shops with the shop names?
3. shoot at the products on the shelf within the shops?
4. shoot at my friends/family against the backdrop of those products on shelf?

Because at some places, i did #2 and #4 with no problem.
While sometimes, i ask permission on #3 but was rejected.

Normally the shop owners will object and refuse permission as the products and layout of the shops are protected. Plus, some shopping centres prohibit photography within their premises. So be more discreet in those situations.

Most prob the shop owners or assistants will tell you not to shoot inside the shop.
Reason being they are afraid that you are one of their competitors or spies. :bsmilie:

As for shooting outside the shop, shouldn't be a problem.

yo sin,

U can shoot anything u like (if the mall allows) and at any part as long as u dun shoot up the escalator when there's women in skirts...

As for irritating shop owners who tell u not to shoot at their products, I politely tell them I will respect their decision if I'm in their shop, but since I'm outside, their rules dun apply. But if they are nasty and insist, I'll stand where I am and take more pictures of the owner as well as her products just to piss her off (Provided the mall doesn't have rules against fotographing ).

better yet, fotograph her cheesed off face and post it in the net to advertise for her free...:thumbsup::rbounce:

This is def not a right way to do that even if you are outside. PPle have rights to ask to delete their pictures. By doing this, u will prob make the person piss off by punching you or cast off yr camera, who's fault in the end? :)

But if they are nasty and insist, I'll stand where I am and take more pictures of the owner as well as her products just to piss her off (Provided the mall doesn't have rules against fotographing ).

better yet, fotograph her cheesed off face and post it in the net to advertise for her free...:thumbsup::rbounce:

Your suggestion may land the TS in trouble. :cool:

Your suggestion may land the TS in trouble. :cool:

and probably do absolutely nothing to raise the already poor impression of photographers in shopping centres; quite the opposite in fact.

it is already difficult to explain that pointing my grainy little phone's camera at the shopkeeper's product is for my own reference as i tend to forget easily, or that the resulting pathetic-resolution photo isn't going to make any whit of difference should i be showing it to their competitor. let's try not to make it worse, shall we?

dun agree.

inside or outside shops, u are IN the shoppin center (and there are usually "no photography" stickers pasted on the doors).

shot in Tampines Mall once, and was ushered into the security office and asked to delete my pics.

Well I have shoot shopping centers before as long they are okay with that some people even smile at me but ofcourse at your own risk some people may not like it i just say sorry to them :)

due to security issues , i doubt shooting in malls as for our hobby can be so freely done.

dun agree.

inside or outside shops, u are IN the shoppin center (and there are usually "no photography" stickers pasted on the doors).

shot in Tampines Mall once, and was ushered into the security office and asked to delete my pics.
woah, thats rather quite tough enforcing. you're shooting with dslr?

But what i am asking is only pertaining to shopping malls and within.[...]

Whenever the question pops up also shopping malls get involved because of their inconsistent behavior regarding this topic.
A simple search for 'public' (public places like shopping malls) in this subforum reveals these links:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449084&highlight=public
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446323&highlight=public
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393699&highlight=public
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425869&highlight=public
Hope that you find the answer there.

ya. DSLR w tripod.

tried shooting the escalator w slow shutter speed.

the manager(ess) was quite polite. explained that there are shop owners w expensive goods (jewellery, watches etc), and they wun feel comfortable w ppl photographing in the building.

ppl do their job, so i jus cooperate and delete the pics.

no big deal.

ya. DSLR w tripod.

tried shooting the escalator w slow shutter speed.

the manager(ess) was quite polite. explained that there are shop owners w expensive goods (jewellery, watches etc), and they wun feel comfortable w ppl photographing in the building.

ppl do their job, so i jus cooperate and delete the pics.

no big deal.

They could be used for plans for robbing the place... :sweat:

I agree.
People have the rights to ask you to del the pictures u took of them.
if they don't compile,take out camera phone and snap them and tell them if picture appear on clubsnap,his/her pictures will be posted too:rolleyes:

shopping center security would probably be increased after the Cortina Heist as well... :D

touched a raw nerve earlier. I take back my earlier post:blah: regarding cheesing off the shopkeeper :bsmilie: i normally just apologise and stop shooting. Anyways, dun like shooting in malls nor private property: no freedom, esp so if carrying huge dslrs....
btw, anyone realise its getting increasingly crowded in every mall in spore?:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.