Shooting in raw and noise

Jennyfur80

Feb 17, 2010
Novena
Hi bro and sis. I have been shooting in jpg and realised if i increase iso, to like 3200, the noise is obvious.

Would shooting in raw with the same settings iso 3200 and then editing in the canon software reduce noise?

TIA

what are you shooting with iso3200??

Hi Jennifer,
the Canon DPP Noise Reduction (NR) is the same as the NR function in-camera.
it will help some and gives you more control with raw than shooting in jpeg.

what are you shooting with iso3200??

tried shooting some birds flying outside my flat with my ef 75-300mm usm with iso 200, f8, 1/150 but came out dark and blurry. Tried with other settings till i find it sharp and bright enough at iso 3200 f8 1/320 but was noisy.

Hi Jennifer,
the Canon DPP Noise Reduction (NR) is the same as the NR function in-camera.
it will help some and gives you more control with raw than shooting in jpeg.

TQ AnsQ. I will try out the DPP. Have not edited raw before.

And i tink the NR on my cam is off later i go check. :)

Perhaps you could try opening the aperture a little to say f/5.6 and reduce the ISO to 1600 :)

Pardon my ignorance, so f/8 is the largest the aperture can go at 300? If so, then the only way might be to use noise reduction software in PP or in the camera :)

Pardon my ignorance, so f/8 is the largest the aperture can go at 300? If so, then the only way might be to use noise reduction software in PP or in the camera :)
Erm .. no. The lens can open up to f/4 at 75mm and maximum f/5.6 at 300mm. But the sharpness at 300mm and f/5.6 is so bad that one needs to step down to f/8 to get a sufficiently sharp image.
TS: I suggest using RAW and doing post-processing and noise reduction at computer. Especially Noise Reduction and Sharpening (using USM = Unsharpen Mask) needs to be done in parallel. Noise Reduction goes at the costs of details, USM can counter this to a certain extend.
In the long run .. try to get a better lens for such purposes. The EF-S 55-250 is quite well received here in forum, personally I don't own one.

Ah ic, it's quite common for such superzooms :(
Yeah, USM could be a good way. Or just reduce the image size so that the noise won't be that obvious and it'll also look slightly sharper :p

what do you need the photos for?

if its just for simple post on facebook kind, just make do lor... cos without a flash or something then at that focal length and with that lens, is gg to be quite difficult le..

shooting in RAW will help, but you will need to do the PP afterwards lor..

quite a hassle unless you want to do it...

Thank you for all the kind replies. ;)

The birds not around today so can't catch them. I will shoot in raw and edit. Thanks a million bros and sis.

tried shooting some birds flying outside my flat with my ef 75-300mm usm with iso 200, f8, 1/150 but came out dark and blurry. Tried with other settings till i find it sharp and bright enough at iso 3200 f8 1/320 but was noisy.

Try dropping the ISO to 1600 or 800 and also the shutter speed to about 1/160 or 1/80. Pan and you'd probably still be able to capture them clearly. :)

Hello Jennifer. Why are you shooting at iso 3200?
If it's for landscapes, perhaps try putting your camera on a tripod and try long exposure?

If it's for shooting people in low lights, you probably will need higher ISO if you dont have a flash. Im using Nik software for noise reduction.:)

Hello Jennifer. Why are you shooting at iso 3200?
If it's for landscapes, perhaps try putting your camera on a tripod and try long exposure?

If it's for shooting people in low lights, you probably will need higher ISO if you dont have a flash. Im using Nik software for noise reduction.:)

I was shooting the birds so got to be fast. The 75-300 lens is now with my cousin which he seem to be able to control it better than me. ;p