Shooting in JB

If there is a shooting in JB, i'd suggest taking cover instantly, remove yourself from the line of sight of the shooter, and calling the cops. If there are injured parties, try to drag them to safety. And don't try the heroics of taking down gunmen like you see in the movies ;)

JB...bad place to whip out DSLR
DSLR in JB is like a perfect target board for snatch thieves and robbers
even KL is 10x safer than JB

if you want to use it in JB, just be prepared for the risk

my 2 cents as a JB ex-resident.

i also think so. using dslr seems to be a risk in jb. better not =D

I'm thinking of doing a on-location shoot in JB it's a park. Not walking around, just using that specific place as setting.

my advise doesn't change.

firstly, it is not difficult to differentiate and spot the Singaporeans from the locals.
The way they wear and behave is clearly different, and Singaporeans in JB means they are there to spend, which means $$ in the wallets.

secondly, a DSLR bag is not difficult to miss.
The moment you step into JB soil, out from the customs, just watch out for people following you.
If you cannot shake them off in 5-10mins, chances are your cash and belongings will be as good as gone.

thirdly, as long as it is a public area and there are people around, many eyes will be watching.

my advise doesn't change.

firstly, it is not difficult to differentiate and spot the Singaporeans from the locals.
The way they wear and behave is clearly different, and Singaporeans in JB means they are there to spend, which means $$ in the wallets.

secondly, a DSLR bag is not difficult to miss.
The moment you step into JB soil, out from the customs, just watch out for people following you.
If you cannot shake them off in 5-10mins, chances are your cash and belongings will be as good as gone.

thirdly, as long as it is a public area and there are people around, many eyes will be watching.

dress different? how so?

dress different? how so?

well, this is abit difficult to explain...
brands and style is one factor, hair-style and eye-wear is another one, holding a IPhone is almost like a banner for Singaporeans.
Wearing of accessories, the bag carried and the type of footwear is a good clue as well.

Some of us might be aware and try to dress down when going to JB, but can almost never blend in.
it may sound ridiculous, but i can even spot Singaporeans in plain T-shirts

The danger of shooting in JB is not the human things but the unseen inhuman things.

You'll feel unseen hands tapping your shoulders when there is no one around you. Or your tripods being moved by itself to another place when you change lens or battery. Or a third dark blurry human-like being appears in the background of your photos.

JB is a "dirty" place to shoot without invading the space of unseen beings. They can smell you're from across the causeway. You can always tell by looking at the multiple shadows following you around.

well, this is abit difficult to explain...
brands and style is one factor, hair-style and eye-wear is another one, holding a IPhone is almost like a banner for Singaporeans.
Wearing of accessories, the bag carried and the type of footwear is a good clue as well.

Some of us might be aware and try to dress down when going to JB, but can almost never blend in.
it may sound ridiculous, but i can even spot Singaporeans in plain T-shirts

Singaporeans more "stylish"?

Singaporeans more "stylish"?

strictly speaking, not in that sense, although i will agree Singaporeans are generally more stylish, but not entirely true

it's more like a "different style" kind of thing
how about this? you know how to differentiate between a malay and pinoy in Singapore?
you know how to differentiate between a PRC and local chinese in Singapore?

You are already a target when they see your car, no matter how you dress, they know you are a Singaporean.

You are already a target when they see your car, no matter how you dress, they know you are a Singaporean.

this one i have to agree almost hands down
even without seeing the car plate, if you are not driving Proton or Perodua, almost 80% chance Singaporean car

If they can follows me for 1 min, i then scare. Cause I walk super fast plus my size is big. Sit on them on than enough. :p

I went in JB just to shop a bit and out. Once in, take cab, go other places first. If you loom ard certain area too long, you will be a target for them lor.

Travel in packs of 10 and above. Stand in the middle of the group so if anyone gets mugged, you're still safe. :)

Travel in packs of 10 and above. Stand in the middle of the group so if anyone gets mugged, you're still safe. :)

if you stand in the middle, everyone else can see the danger except you yourself :bsmilie:

so when suddenly everyone scatters, it's too late! :bsmilie:

dress different? how so?

IF you are asking this kind of pretty basic survival question, your wallet/belongings is already as good as 10-20% chance gone. Other countries as well, like China Shenzhen, Vietnam etc (Shenzhen could be better now).

Even for weddings, I charge quite a fair bit extra as loading due to this, and specify that I'd need transportation there and back. Additional loading if it ends late and I need to spend the night there and then I make my way back via cab.
Hence, so far I have done like 4 Johor area wedding only....usually the couples engage different photographers, but sometimes that is not possible because of the need to travel between 2 countries in very short periods. (they usually get JB to come here)

No offence to Malaysians or JB residents.

Last edited:

Thought just recently travelled in a big group also chased till Checkpoint and whacked in front of Malaysian customs somemore.

News from the Star Online

April 2011 news
JOHOR BARU: The bodyguard of a moneychanger was shot dead at Jalan Kuning 2 here - in a daring robbery involving men armed with a gun and parang.

Sep 2009 news
Robbers in Taman Suria, JB, are even dressed as cops
JOHOR BARU: Rising crime and the boldness of thieves have made residents in Taman Suria here literally living in fear.

May 2009 news
They even dare to rob the Assistant Commissioner of Police in his own house.
OCPD robbed at knife point. JOHOR BARU: Johor Baru South OCPD Asst Comm Zainuddin Yaakob was tied up and robbed at knife point in his house here early yesterday.