Shooting in cold temp - precautions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomo

Feb 4, 2006
Govt. loves to wear all-white
Hi, I'm heading to Kunming, China in Jan for a company trip and I'm the assigned photographer. Temp should range betw. 7/8˚ to ard 15˚.

I wanna know if there is any precautions I should take? ie, how to keep the camera warm...condensation....etc.

My gear: 30D, 10-22, 17-50, 70-200 and 580.

Fully charge your battery, recharge them whenever you can and keep your spare battery away from the cold. Battery tend to drain out faster when in cold temp even when they're not in your camera.

Cheers and enjoy your trip :)

Fully charge your battery, recharge them whenever you can and keep your spare battery away from the cold. Battery tend to drain out faster when in cold temp even when they're not in your camera.

Cheers and enjoy your trip :)

If your battery runs out on you, change to another one but warm up the used battery by keeping it next to your body. You can re-use it after warming up. I would advise bringing 2 - 3 batteries with you when you are out in the open. Also, don't bring your body/lens in and out of a warm room/cold as there will be condensation in/on your lenses. You may spoil your lenses if this happens! Best to keep it an your zipped up camera bag or in a ziplock bag till the body/lenses gets warmed up/cool down before you expose it to the elements! (may take hours to do so).

Yes
warming up your battery is important
Mine went out on me before in korea even though i had charged it the previous night
I put it with my hand warmer for a while and hey:D its back

Oh c'mon 8-15 degrees is nothing to worry about. We were out sledding yesterday in about -3 C weather for more than an hour. I took photos and left the camera in a bag on the snow. Worked just fine. I regularly take it out with me in subzero temperatures.

i'd always advise people to take out the batteries from the cameras if they're not shooting.

just in case the battery leaks.

carry loads of spares and keep them warm. :D

Oh c'mon 8-15 degrees is nothing to worry about. We were out sledding yesterday in about -3 C weather for more than an hour. I took photos and left the camera in a bag on the snow. Worked just fine. I regularly take it out with me in subzero temperatures.

That is true. That temp is nothing to worry about. U start worrying when it is like -30 deg C.

At 8-15, only condensation is a problem.

juz came baq from korea not too long baq... its winter there and temperature drops to -6 -7 at times... no issue shooting there with my cam with exception that my batts drains out very very fast.... only able to last 100+ pics with my LCD info off permanently... baq in sing, 300-400 with LCD info on is not a prob.... therefore one advice: bring lots of spare batts!!!!

7-15 is nothing. It's within normal operating specs and the batteries will at most be 60% effective. I have shot in -10 without wind chill factor considered. My batteries each last about 200 shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.