Shooting in a function room with a triangle shaped roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duinchlfc

Aug 29, 2006
Sengkang
First of all Happy chinese new year to everyone.Now to the question.I recently did a photoshoot for my friends' son first year birthday party.As mentioned in the title.Bounc flash was a mess and i'm doing crazy time in photoshop trying to correct the problems..Can anyone advice me on what or how to use the flash to have more balanced shots? Cheers

You may want to consider an on-flash diffuser instead, like a lightsphere or a bounce card.

i used a bounced card.Messed up quite a bit of shots...hmmm lightsphere.Alright i'll try out your suggestions.Cheers

Shoot direct

shoot direct? i will get dark backgrounds and lit up subjects.Thats not a shot i am looking for

Learn more...

you can reduce the flash ev and open up the aperture plus drag the exposure time... This allows the BG to be brighter and get a good balanced shot without bouncing the flash at all...

i get what you're saying but i was shooting a baby who was constantly moving.I did that but most pictures turned out completely blurred with the baby moving all over the place.

with camera-mounted bounce flash -

when you have anything other than a light-coloured, opaque, flat and low ceiling, you have to be constantly aware of the direction of your bounce flash - pointing it straight up or slightly forward will not be enough.

before firing, take a good look at where your flash head is pointing. remember that light travels in straight lines - if it hits a reflective surface at an angle, it will bounce off that surface at a similar angle. which part of the ceiling will the first bounce hit? what direction will the light be reflected towards? where will most of that reflected light land?

once you bounce off to the side (relative to the shot), especially if you are using it as a main light, the scene may end up being unevenly lit. this is most apparent when using wider angles - the shadowed area may look very strange. you may be able to deal with this by not including so much of the environment (or the floor) in the shot.

sometimes direct flash may be your only option. the 'bright subject dark background' effect can be mitigated by underexposing the ambient by 1-2 stops, and avoiding showing too much of the floor or walls leading up to your subject in the scene.

First of all Happy chinese new year to everyone.Now to the question.I recently did a photoshoot for my friends' son first year birthday party.As mentioned in the title.Bounc flash was a mess and i'm doing crazy time in photoshop trying to correct the problems..Can anyone advice me on what or how to use the flash to have more balanced shots? Cheers

Post your messed-up shots pls. :)

before you start shooting you need to notice the ceiling and how the light will bounce, then use the surface and position your flash accordingly
if you did not, then you should, there is no magic formula
every shooting situation is different

things that can be considered
bounce the flash off the wall instead?

"by triangle shaped roof" you mean like a pyramid?
remember that light travels in straight lines

i get what you're saying but i was shooting a baby who was constantly moving.I did that but most pictures turned out completely blurred with the baby moving all over the place.

u shoot in priority mode Aperture?
canon flash system when shoot in A mode tend to balance the ambient lighting together with the flash unless u forcibly set it to 1/250 sec on cust fn mode,
yr shutter will usually dropped to less than 1/10 sec if u use low iso indoor.

Shoot in manual better.

In that case, even with direct flash you're gonna find it difficult to get a decent shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.