Shooting Golf Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Mar 5, 2004
Tanah Merah
Hi...Will be shooting a golf tournament soon at a country club....any tips on camera angles....techiques...equipment....?

Anyone experienced shooting golf....?

Robin said:
Hi...Will be shooting a golf tournament soon at a country club....any tips on camera angles....techiques...equipment....?

Anyone experienced shooting golf....?

Steady lah, Robin!

Seriously, don't worry excessively abt yr eqpt. Your current hardware shld serve you just fine! Just go out, put camera in P mode and shoot away. If you're shooting players addressing the ball before hitting the teeshot, shoot only AFTER they have hit. A camera clicking away can be very distracting to both amateur and pro golfers alike. Should they hit a bad shot, they might well come after you. ;)

As for angles, flip thru some golf mags to get an idea of the kind of pics. Or look at newspapers and the WWW.

The most impt thing that day is to get your shots. And most importantly, have fun!

Hewland

Hewland said:
Steady lah, Robin!

Seriously, don't worry excessively abt yr eqpt. Your current hardware shld serve you just fine! Just go out, put camera in P mode and shoot away. If you're shooting players addressing the ball before hitting the teeshot, shoot only AFTER they have hit. A camera clicking away can be very distracting to both amateur and pro golfers alike. Should they hit a bad shot, they might well come after you. ;)

As for angles, flip thru some golf mags to get an idea of the kind of pics. Or look at newspapers and the WWW.

The most impt thing that day is to get your shots. And most importantly, have fun!

Hewland

Thanks dude....i feel much better now...cause i know nuts about golf..... ;)

some standard golf poses

1. the momentary pause when their golf club is high in the air both elbows in front of body. thsi happens just after they take a hit

2. when they stare motionless at the ball, hoping that it will go into the hole

Hi Robin,

I've done a few golf tourneys.
Use a zoom lens, preferably 200mm or more.

set your camera settings to continuous mode. I use 3 fps.

the golfer usually would take a practice swing. Anticipate when he's gonna take the shot from the tee. You'll know when he's addressing the ball. Stand at a distance so as not to distract the golfer. Start snapping on the upswing until the follow-through. Because the action is so fast, you'll probably snap 3 shots continuously. From these 3, there's bound to be a good photo taken. I've had golfers request for all 3 shots so that they can analyse their swing.

I use aperture priority, usually at f11, depending on location of sun and weather.

DO not stand on the greens or the fairway.

Do not use flash.

On the putting green, shoot low. Try not to shoot in front of the golfer. One slight miss is one extra stroke counted.

Good luck!

wanna sell your 300D, anyone??

1)so, 300D doesn't seem a hot item so far, any body regretted buying and wanna sell his 300D??

2)any update of upcoming fashion show in town(Singapore), wanna shoot.

919956g said:
wanna sell your 300D, anyone??

1)so, 300D doesn't seem a hot item so far, any body regretted buying and wanna sell his 300D??

2)any update of upcoming fashion show in town(Singapore), wanna shoot.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

??????

Thanks guys for all the advise.....this is my first golf tournament shoot and i am just a tad nervous..... :)

perhaps u need a long lens unless u are able to get on the green...

try to shoot at eye level.....if the player squats....match it etc etc....
fast shutter also impt.....

1.take note of the background, trees & branches sticking out from the head will be :nono:
2.depending on the time of the day, the sun's direction affects your head shots, especially when most of the golfers wear caps.
3.and switch yr handphone to silent!!

Robin said:
Thanks guys for all the advise.....this is my first golf tournament shoot and i am just a tad nervous..... :)

Yo Robin,

Where and when is the golf tourney?

robin... hope this is not too late for your shoot.

i have always liked 4 types of shots in golf tournaments,

i) follow-through as they look up to their shot (need good zoom lense)
ii) lining up putt (need good positioning inline with golfer, ball and hole)
iii) expression on putting in a long putt (just like tiger)
iv) sky view of the golf course (need helicopter) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.