Shooting from Pit Building - FL needed?

Agrivar

Oct 25, 2010
Singapore
Hi ..

I'll be at Chingay 2011. At the pit building. Was wondering what is a good FL for shots of the performers on the track? Never gone for F1 so I'm not sure and need advice from those of you who have gone to the F1 events. Is 300mm (35 mm eq) a good enough FL ? Or something is the range of 400-600mm ? (I'll be in the grandstand).

thanks !

I'd say a 70-200 is more than enough.

Very easy to simulate too. Just find a spot on Orchard where you can sit for coffee. Then estimate distance, and test FL.

TS, are you preparing for F1 2011 ?

from my experiences, I rented a Canon 100-400mm L and felt that it is too tight.

so, maybe a 70-200 f/4 will be sufficient, look, this is Marina Bay Street Circuit, not Sepang International Circuit or Japan's Suzuka Circuit.

P.S, overall I still prefer my 85mm for F1 becasue it is one of the cheapest fast focusing lens and tight enough lens for me to afford.

depends what you want. personally i would be at the ground level photographing the performers.

Its a night event so with f/4 might have to bring up the iso to get the shutter speed you want.

I recommend shoot in Raw so that white balance is the least of your worries.

See how they going to arrange the lighting for the parade....then there is also the fireworks.

Last edited:
Thanks All... I may have a chance to go for one of the Practice sessions.. So I can test out..