Shooting friend's church wedding. 50mm f1.8 or kit 18-55mm

well they have another friend doing the same thing. Just some guy with a dslr and take photos. They are just hoping that out of the many we take some will be okay.

So that's why I won't be spending on it, as they really don't seem to be willing to spend a cent. This is just the rom for them, they have a banquet on another day. That's why they did not want to hire a photographer, coz they wanna save it for the banquet instead.

arggh i need to go find out the cheapest decent flash i can get then, since i think u guys are asking me to use the kit lens with flash.

Flash is a very very useful accessory. Sooner or later you will need to get one anyway. Might as well get it now and start using it. If really in a pinch budget wise, maybe you can consider something like the Nissin Di622 for $200.

Also, talk with that other fella. Find out what he is using to shoot. If he is using flash and standard zoom, you can go to town with the 50/1.8 and shoot the creative photojournalistic shots.

You are not the only photographer.. so the pressure's off. Just relac and enjoy shooting. No worries if the pics are no good, since the couple is the one who are trying to save some dough instead of paying someone to get it done right. I mean... for my own ROM, I paid $150 only but then again, my ROM was a 15min affair.

Last edited:
I've just taken photos at a church wedding just 2 weeks ago. using a 18-55mm kit lens and 35mm prime on a Nikon D60 as I was not willing to bring along a FF camera due to the weight. Canon 550D is not very far off.

Depending on whether your church is non-denominational or catholic or protestant will make a slight difference due to protocol. Catholic Churches will not allow you to use flash during the service whereas non-denominational churches will be quite flexible.

Assuming you can't use flash, then you would need to use a fast prime since you have indicated you are eyeing 50mm f1.8. With prime, while you can't zoom, you could still move around to your subject as long as you're not too obstrusive. Best preparation is to be there one week ahead during practise session to try out various camera settings and see how it goes. If you're more kiasu then go two weeks earlier, take some test shots and post here for feedback.

You won't go too far off if you put in some practice runs. Hope that helps.:cool:

Great ! I think I will do just that ! Go take some test shots !

To me now it seems like you are a hired photographer. see, this is your friend's wedding, on the other hand try to view as a friend too.

For me, i would like to view the wedding and at the same time take some shots too.

My recommended setup:

Canon 550D

Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM

Canon 50mm f1.8

Pop up flash diffuser

This setup isn't that heavy, and at the same time you could relax and enjoy rather than like being a PG, carrying bulky flash and so on.

Well, thats my opinion.

Familiarize yourself to the venue, maybe go there few weeks before the wedding and practice where to position yourself during the ceremony, take a friend photographer who already done this before and she/he will guide you....or maybe bring along who can shoot with you so you could have other angles that might be better or useful. Tried this before and its sooo... tiring, from hotel, church, up to reception...a whole day event (more than 12 hours).

Great experience.

Cheers!

well they have another friend doing the same thing. Just some guy with a dslr and take photos. They are just hoping that out of the many we take some will be okay.

So that's why I won't be spending on it, as they really don't seem to be willing to spend a cent. This is just the rom for them, they have a banquet on another day. That's why they did not want to hire a photographer, coz they wanna save it for the banquet instead.

arggh i need to go find out the cheapest decent flash i can get then, since i think u guys are asking me to use the kit lens with flash.

From your description your friends seem to be very casual about the church ROM ceremony; as they have another "official wedding banquet" which they will engage a professional photographer. ie they have already adjusted their own level of expectations. So just use whatever you have & tie up with the other guy on that day. Suggest you go there, take it as a learning experience & enjoy your friends' holy matrimony which is more important, & dont let the stress of taking photos frustrate you up.

Last edited:
Dun forget spare batteries for everything u bring and charge them up in advance...batteries for ur flash gun if ur renting, spare cam batteries, etc...no telling what might happen on weddings. (oh, my favourite, salonpas patches if ur bags weight turn out to be quite heavy especially when u add water and spare tee shirt to change when u sweat alot, lol)

The little things that makes a difference

taking a whole day of photos is no joke, almost like photomarathon liao, lol:bsmilie:

Murphys law at work, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. so prepare as best as you can

Just my 2cents advise;)

thank you everyone for your advice!

i doubt i'll get a flash as anything above $200 is too much, and i seriously do not foresee myself lugging the big ass flash around normally.

what i may consider is getting the EF 35mm f2 instead of the 50mm f1.8 if it has gotten alot cheaper since nov 09 according to the clubsnap price list.

as this prime is something i wish to have for everyday use. is 35mm more flexible than 50mm? 50mm seems abit too tight especially indoors like in a room etc.

i doubt i'll get a flash as anything above $200 is too much, and i seriously do not foresee myself lugging the big ass flash around normally.

what i may consider is getting the EF 35mm f2 instead of the 50mm f1.8 if it has gotten alot cheaper since nov 09 according to the clubsnap price list.

as this prime is something i wish to have for everyday use. is 35mm more flexible than 50mm? 50mm seems abit too tight especially indoors like in a room etc.

35*1.6 (do some maths here)

u can always bump up ISO and with the use of primes shot at wider aperture in low light condition if u dun have a flash. :)

i heard 550D noise control is quite good (at least better then my ex 450D) and some even says its comparable with 7D.

so you can try shooting at ISO 1600 or 2400 with a 35mm at f2 in low light and see for yourself.

Last edited:

I will go for this one if I were you.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/Canon-EF-28mm-f-1.8-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

On a 1.6x crop, I think 28mm or 24mm makes more sense.

Last edited:
Using prime is more tougher as this is your first time. The zoom should always be on standby and the prime is only when there is a opening to use it.
BTW, I must say that the flash is damn damn important. There might be case like a whole family shot in a place where the light came from the back (Open shelter etc). For this kind of shots, you cannot go too low on the F stop and cause the side family member to be in the DOF. You can bet you luck on family members not moving with a tripod. But I will rather use a flash in such case.

Great opportunity to try out . . . but don't be too stress out, treat it like another photoshot that you are going and enjoying.

Just remember to shot alot and look for those little details if possible which other may miss.
Such as : those deco (which you can take while trying your shots), the candid shots of people, the rings, the flowers, the wait of the bride's father holding the bride before they go into the church etc . . .

There are a whole list of shots which should not be miss in the church which you can find in the net . . . or in the wedding sub forum which some have posted.

Normally they will have decorated a day before the actual ceremony, go and shot during their preparation to test your settings and a good photo memories as well for the couple too. Try shooting at different angles.

Don't worry, the couple will appreciate those little things which you have done. :)

Most importantly, enjoy shooting . . . and as in my signature . . . SHOOT MORE cos DIGITAL is FREE !!!! :)

a flash is so expensive though. I think I will just get the pop up flash diffuser.

I am also the bridesmaid, so really wondering how on earth am I going to carry so many things in a dress... hmmm

a flash is so expensive though. I think I will just get the pop up flash diffuser.

I am also the bridesmaid, so really wondering how on earth am I going to carry so many things in a dress... hmmm

good luck to you!

u can always rent a flash... a canon 580ExII cost only $25 per day. :)

how can u be the bridesmaid and the photographer at the same time>????

dont you think you are being abit irresponsible by taking on two roles and not being able to do ur job properly?

how can u be the bridesmaid and the photographer at the same time>????

dont you think you are being abit irresponsible by taking on two roles and not being able to do ur job properly?

there might be more then one bridesmaid.

Yup there will be 4 bridesmaids.

Pardon me for being straight, but perharps your friend expectation and standards are quite low as such a pop up flash with diffuser is enough, also her photographer is also a bridemaid as well... But I do hope the wedding photos turns out good.

how can a bridemaid be a photographer as well ???

don't you need to be beside the bride ?

Blur . . .

Pls get a tripod too so that you can take yourself in the group too.

Ah, think you really need to pick either being a bride's maid or a photographer. I don't think you can really do both at the same time well.