Shooting fishes in tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylo0701

Apr 1, 2008
Hi bros and sis, i'm an arowana hobbyist. Bought a Nikon D40 DSLR last year to take pictures of my arowana in the tank. As my tanks are outdoors, there'll be some reflection when I take the pictures. Any idea how to resolve this problem without using flashes? Will polarising filters help remove these reflections?

you can:

a) Bounce the flash
b) Off shoe flash
c) buy a D40 underwater casing ;p (best option... BUY BUY BUY!!!)

CP doesn't really help much if the flash is direct.

Search the forum for 'arowana' - you are not the only one having these fishes and a camera :)

Hi bros and sis, i'm an arowana hobbyist. Bought a Nikon D40 DSLR last year to take pictures of my arowana in the tank. As my tanks are outdoors, there'll be some reflection when I take the pictures. Any idea how to resolve this problem without using flashes? Will polarising filters help remove these reflections?

Outdoors? Line the sides and back of tank with black paper. Use a screen to block off light from the top (from the tank to your camera0

There was a thread somewhere in CS too previously, where the flash was placed at the back of the tank. That was pretty cool. Too bad mine already has Oyama black on the back.

As always, don't forget to clean the glass surface first (very noticeable if you don't) and heh, shoot preferably after WC.

Shoot at night, there will be less reflection. It's very difficult to block all reflections.
Best way is to get plenty of lights in the tank. If light is brighter in the tank than no reflection.
Place as many flash as possible on top of the tank. See attached picture. I use tank light
and 3 flash on top. Finally use PP to rid whatever reflection that manage to get thru.
Hope that helps.

aro_0656.jpg

Shoot at night, there will be less reflection. It's very difficult to block all reflections.
Best way is to get plenty of lights in the tank. If light is brighter in the tank than no reflection.
Place as many flash as possible on top of the tank. See attached picture. I use tank light
and 3 flash on top. Finally use PP to rid whatever reflection that manage to get thru.
Hope that helps.

aro_0656.jpg

Nice red u have....

last time when i have s5is(ultrazoom), i will off all my lights in the room, on all the tank lights and stand far when i shoot.

If u wan, i can post some pics later

Hope that helps.

aro_0656.jpg

WOW! Nice red U have! Will try ur method of keeping tank as bright as possible and surroundings as dark as possible. Dun wanna use flash leh, scared my fish jump out of tank. Haha. Thanks very much;)

Nice red u have....

last time when i have s5is(ultrazoom), i will off all my lights in the room, on all the tank lights and stand far when i shoot.

If u wan, i can post some pics later

Can post bro? Thanks;)

Hope that helps.

aro_0656.jpg

got a bit drop-eye... but overall is nice body shape and colour.

WOW! Nice red U have! Will try ur method of keeping tank as bright as possible and surroundings as dark as possible. Dun wanna use flash leh, scared my fish jump out of tank. Haha. Thanks very much;)

Go ahead and try, flash is ok.
Don't worry I have not seen them jump when I flash them yet.
Beside shooting my own fish, I visit my friend's house and shoot their fish too.

weixiang, Thanks, but the aro belongs to my friend. You got nice PB and Aro.

sin77, izzit droop eyes? :bheart: Thanks, I not good with aro, don't keep them, just shoot them.

Go ahead and try, flash is ok.
Don't worry I have not seen them jump when I flash them yet.
Beside shooting my own fish, I visit my friend's house and shoot their fish too.

weixiang, Thanks, but the aro belongs to my friend. You got nice PB and Aro.

sin77, izzit droop eyes? :bheart: Thanks, I not good with aro, don't keep them, just shoot them.

i wonder is there any side effects on aro when using alot/strong flashes?
e.g. fighten them, blink them, etc

Hmm...will try use flash and see if anything wrong. Aros still young lah...:( Nice pics guys, wah, so many fish hobbyists here ah. Thanks guys.:):thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.