Shooting every other 5 mins, better to turn camera off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riDerz

Dec 27, 2005
Just wondering if anyone got anything to share on how long you keep your digital camera on.

I am currently using a Canon G3. The main stuff I shoot are autopsy photos of things I repair or mod. That will mean taking 5 mins to open 1 part, shoot some photos, then another 5 mins to open another part, shoot etc etc.

Will it be better to keep the camera on? Since everytime you turn it on and off, the motor need to spin to retract the lens.

Battery should not be an issue here, since I shoot in my workshop, and can run of DC power and remove the battery.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably turn off the LCD while shooting in this manner. These screens seem to produce a lot of heat.

I think it is better to keep the camera off, anyway you no need the camera to be always on.
Or just turn on the auto shut-down (if there is :D )

hays said:
I think it is better to keep the camera off, anyway you no need the camera to be always on.
Or just turn on the auto shut-down (if there is :D )

My Sony Cybershot P8 also have an auto shut down after a while of inactivity but having to turn it on again n again drains a lot of battery too.

There's no model answer to such question(s). It really depends on your preference.

yeah, i don't have extra batteries so what i do i turn the camera off after a shot, that works best for me when i am mobile, saves me some more shots. :)

shopaholic said:
yeah, i don't have extra batteries so what i do i turn the camera off after a shot, that works best for me when i am mobile, saves me some more shots. :)

IMO extra batteries is a must especially when shooting long hours outdoors. I also think if you're stopping shooting for a short while, u can turn off the LCD and turn it on again when needed. This way it saves a lot more batt power than turning the cam off n on again n again.

Snoweagle said:
IMO extra batteries is a must especially when shooting long hours outdoors. I also think if you're stopping shooting for a short while, u can turn off the LCD and turn it on again when needed. This way it saves a lot more batt power than turning the cam off n on again n again.

oh, thanks. i'll do that from now on :)

Thanks for the comments.
This might be nothing, but on the G3, when switching off the LCD, there's this "tick" sound.
Sounds like a huge relay they have for a little LCD.

if your batt is strong, just leave it lor

riDerz said:
Thanks for the comments.
This might be nothing, but on the G3, when switching off the LCD, there's this "tick" sound.
Sounds like a huge relay they have for a little LCD.

Mine's switching it on then have this small 'tick' sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.