Shooting event in jpeg or raw?

Generally, in events, shooting raw is not recommended. Unless you have lots of storage to keep them or you have lots of time to process each and everyone of them.

Practice your camera settings to get your exposure spot on or near perfect, jpegs process faster and get similar results for most cases.

If you don't, or can't edit photo after the event, shoot in jpg.

If you can or want to edit after event, shoot in raw.

Last edited:
I shoot in raw + jpeg. Raw just give u so much more for editing.
Maybe getting a faster card will help in you case?

which one better choice?
raw take long time buffer
Buffer? Is this a sports event where you 'machine gun' the people? But even then, most cameras have sufficient buffer capacity to handle that, provided you use memory cards that do not slow down the write process unnecessarily. So please share a bit more what kind of event you are talking about here.
A typical case where shooting RAW is the recommended option is discussed here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1541407

The camera's JPEG process beats (my estimate) what 80% of the people can do with RAW.

Whatever works for you lor. I think if you're worried about the buffer, you're either holding the shutter button too long or you're using a camera that is too low end for your needs.

For me is both jpeg and raw. Mainly industry events, conferences and church activities.

40s in RAW processing is way better than anything Canon's JPEG had ever given me...

Sony is another story. 40s in RAW processing I *might* reach Sony's JPEG only...

cf card buffer raw quite fast , unless u only have sd slot

I am jpeg shooter. I believe in quickness and am comfortable enough with my cameras to know what they are going to do.

Last edited:
For event I shoot in jpeg, sunset landscape in RAW. For event shooting, try to go there early to test shoot and adjust the WB.

but lets say wedding once in a live time scare shoot jpeg wb wrong leh
Usually, table clothes in restaurants are whiteband clean. Perfect reference when you do the WB fine tuning later. From there, go a few hundred Kelvin to the warm side and you are there.
It works best with RAW.

It really depends on one's individual style and preference.

Shooting in raw allows more latitude on post processing. You can correct errors, bring up the shadows, correct blown out highlight details, adjust noise etc. You can also do these in jpgs but the range is very limited. The con is that the file size is large and you need to post process every shot.

Shooting in jpg is faster and need little or no post processing - maybe some cropping and alignment. The down side is that you need to be almost spot on in your exposure for the situation or risk losing details in the highlights and shadows areas.

I prefer to shoot in raw. It allow me to adjust the exposure to the way I want it to be. To reduce post processing workload, I set certain default for the lightroom import - (e.g. apply lens profile, sharpening, clarity and noise reduction setting. For others like WB, I would sync the setting across similar sets of photos. Yes, this is a lot more work, but for me I find it is worth it as some shots are not reproducible.

In summary, take the ideas and suggestion here and decide for yourself what works better for you.