shooting directly at sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray80

Mar 2, 2009
Hi,

Anybody can advise whether shooting directly at sun, such as during sun set / raise, will it damage the camera?

worrying :) yet curious

thanks thanks

This has been asked before. Think: This happens all over the world, every day, by millions of tourists at every beach... And no cameras have been damaged so far.

FYI, running a search for "shooting directly at sun" will give you loads of results.

so far I have not heard anyone complain the sun burn a hole on sensor or film while shooting sunrise or sunset.

I love to shoot into the sun to get the flares effect. The only side effect is that now I see a bright spot whenever I close my eyes at night.

3243854697_2d9371d103_o.jpg

You should worry more for your eye than the sensor:sweatsm:bsmilie:

Hi Ray80

Many of the concerns regarding solar photography damaging the sensor or even the lens optical elements is not your usual type of sun in the photo pictures, or ur mild gentle sunset / sunrise.

The potentially dangerous ones are the real deal solar photography shots where u are looking at almost frame filling sun shots with those huge telephoto lenses. At least this was one of the replies I got from the thousand oaks dudes that the special solar filters has to be at the front of the telephoto so as not to have heating within the optics / camera system.

And yes take care of the sensor / retina in ur eyes. They are the most precious. So dun worry, go out and grab more shots.

Ryan

on the flip-side, if you mount your telephoto and DSLR on a tripod, point it at the mid-day sun, and expose the sensor for a few minutes, i'm pretty sure you'll spoil something :bsmilie:

Otherwise, if you use your equipment 'normally' there shouldn't be a prob ;)

From what I know, I would say, don't use live view mode (if your DSLR has it) when shooting sun rise / set, to make you more comfort.

Someone please correct me if wrong: whe you focus / compose your image using viewfinder, the 'sun rays' actually not reaching the sensor. Only when you press the shuuter, the mirror flip up, then will reach the sensor. So how long is the exposure of sensor to sun light? depends on the shutter speed.

If still feels not comfortable, just don't shot yet. Wait until you more comfortable.

Just 2 cents...

Someone please correct me if wrong: whe you focus / compose your image using viewfinder, the 'sun rays' actually not reaching the sensor. Only when you press the shuuter, the mirror flip up, then will reach the sensor. So how long is the exposure of sensor to sun light? depends on the shutter speed.

If still feels not comfortable, just don't shot yet. Wait until you more comfortable.

Just 2 cents...

yups, right you are :)

Status
Not open for further replies.