shooting clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfightclub

Aug 13, 2006
I tried recently to shoot clothing on flat white surface, u know, something like what you would see in those www.abercrombie.com, those kind. Results sucked man. Either it was just too flat, or too dull, or too stark.

Clothing was placed on white surface, tried with two side-ish lights and, also tried with just one. CMI. Seems like it should be a fairly simple task leh. Any bros can help with suggestions?

Try a different BG to make it stand out... there are tricks involved.

Some actually shoot the clothes on hangers and then DI off the hangers...

What do you mean by "just too flat, or too dull, or too stark"???

if you are talking about lighting set up for this shot, just study the shadow you will know how's the lighting set up be.

anyway, the set up is using ONE very large softbox with a very large reflector, so the light is soft and even yet directional.

15603_02_p.jpg

The tricky thing is I'm doing it against white background so that's one diff between mine and the abercrombie one. I keep achieving harsh shadows on the side or find it difficult to make it stand out from the background. I tried different coloured clothing still the same. Plus I can't seem to achieve an even white throughout for the background. This part.. any way to solve?

So you only used one light source? I tried one medium softbox and one direct (moving the direct around to see which placement is best) and also tried two medium softbox. Will try the reflector.

I want to emphasize the shadows ON the clothes more than the abercrombie one but don't want the shadow of the shirt on the background leh.

The tricky thing is I'm doing it against white background so that's one diff between mine and the abercrombie one. I keep achieving harsh shadows on the side or find it difficult to make it stand out from the background. I tried different coloured clothing still the same. Plus I can't seem to achieve an even white throughout for the background. This part.. any way to solve?

So you only used one light source? I tried one medium softbox and one direct (moving the direct around to see which placement is best) and also tried two medium softbox. Will try the reflector.

I want to emphasize the shadows ON the clothes more than the abercrombie one but don't want the shadow of the shirt on the background leh.

No, there is no way that you can light the clothes nicely and without let the clothes cast a shadow on the background.

Remember, you set up ONE light, you will get ONE set of shadow, TWO lights, you will get TWO sets of shadow.

The purpose of using large softbox is giving softer highlight and shadow, using a large reflector is to lower the contrast between highlight and shadow without create another set of shadow.

and you can't place the clothes on a light table to eliminate the shadow on background, cause the light from bottom will make the clothes translucent.

the only way is to use photoshop to lighten or eliminate the shadows on the background.

The clothes were placed on white colored base, like white cloth or white paper. I like the shadows of the "folds" on the clothing, but not the shadow of the clothing so I'm trying to see how to best minimize it...hmm...

The clothes were placed on white colored base, like white cloth or white paper. I like the shadows of the "folds" on the clothing, but not the shadow of the clothing so I'm trying to see how to best minimize it...hmm...
..............................Photoshop.....................................

If will give more visual impact if u can actually get a fren to wear those clothes and u take a pic. probably do it outdoors in the late afternoon. find a location with not much fascinating background.

what i did for my fren is we went to part of the railway track to do the shoot. not really fantastic as it was my first try too. :) just trying to help her out to help her save $. hope this helps.
2560845860_189208522b.jpg

I tried recently to shoot clothing on flat white surface, u know, something like what you would see in those www.abercrombie.com, those kind. Results sucked man. Either it was just too flat, or too dull, or too stark.

Clothing was placed on white surface, tried with two side-ish lights and, also tried with just one. CMI. Seems like it should be a fairly simple task leh. Any bros can help with suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.