Shooting black and white pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlantiz6

Mar 19, 2009
Hi all,

I am interested in shooting black and white pictures. What I currently do is photoshop whatever picture I have to make it black and white. The problem is it doesn't look and feel as good.

Am I better off getting a filter to get the black and white effect? Which filter should i go for, which is more versatile?

I think you need to start off first by indentifying what is "doesn't look and feel as good"

Hi all,

I am interested in shooting black and white pictures. What I currently do is photoshop whatever picture I have to make it black and white. The problem is it doesn't look and feel as good.

Am I better off getting a filter to get the black and white effect? Which filter should i go for, which is more versatile?
you need to learn how to do bnw conversion properly.

how are you doing it? :)

im guessing your just going straight to saturation and making that 0 to make photos black and white...

if you go on photoshop and click ctrl+shift+alt+b then you get a slightly more sophisticated black and white panel which allows you to play with the intensity and luminance of each colour channel coming out of the original photograph, should help you to make your photos "look good" haha

Erm. If you do a google search for "black and white filter", do you get any results about filters that magically turn everything into black and white?

Why don't you work on your workflow first. There are many websites and even magazines available in convenience stores about black and white workflows.

Just do a search for "process black and white pictures tutorial"

Let me give you a tip that a few senior photographers give me.

For digital, by using a green filter, it will make the photos more contrasting when the photos are converted to b&w.
If you like the film grain, digital is not what you will like. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.