shooting at the old National Library?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nightwolf75 said:
oh? they dun allow shooting during the tour?? sayang lah...

how abt weekday evenings, after working hours? say ard 6pm+? whether we require any FL models, we see wat is the majority's opinion?

I am ok with this too... (tentatively)

ok folks. i have written to NLB asking them for permission to shoot the interiors with the following understandings:
1. limited time for shooting
2. max 5 photogs
3. minimal or no flash
4. all pics will be made available to NLB

dont know if they'll approve my request in time for the sunday shoot, but at least i have tried. shld my request be approved, those peeps joinging me pse note the conditons. if not agreeable, pse dont go.

meeting point at this moment is the coffe shop next to the nlb i.e. S11. time is at 8 a.m.

tOm

Sometimes we simply cannot understand the decisions that these people made. The building may be going to disappear & yet they don't allow the public to take some memories with them.

Or perhaps they're going to take photos of it themselves & sell it? :dunno:

Hee~! I'll be there with my friend at an earlier time! Maybe would see you guys there! :D

tom_lim said:
ok folks. i have written to NLB asking them for permission to shoot the interiors with the following understandings:
2. max 5 photogs
3. minimal or no flash

dont know if they'll approve my request in time for the sunday shoot, but at least i have tried. shld my request be approved, those peeps joinging me pse note the conditons. if not agreeable, pse dont go.

meeting point at this moment is the coffe shop next to the nlb i.e. S11. time is at 8 a.m.

tOm

I'm ok with the rules. Can I join? Please please.... :embrass:

cheatchu79 said:
Hee~! I'll be there with my friend at an earlier time! Maybe would see you guys there! :D

shld you see an old man struggling with his tripod and trying to figure out which end of the lens to use ......... that's me!!!! step up and say `Hi' ...... buy u kopi ................. t :D m

Went over to Stamford Road after lunch @ Prego. And I saw lots of, lots of people taking photos of the library, both its exterior & interior! Any of you guys were there?

I guess if we behave & don't go around flashing like nobody's business, still can sneak in some shots without permission ;p

Anyway, here's my shots for the afternoon, do give me some pointers please :embrass:

tom_lim said:
2. max 5 photogs
3. minimal or no flash

tOm

Hi.. I can understand your frustrations of being rejected the last chance to capture the library, as much of it as you can. I joined one of the first tours organised by it and was told of this restriction and the reason they gave are reasonable. They gave a tour which I find superb to out of bounds areas where most of you have never imagined existed for 40 years. These places contain precious and rare items, so the restrictions. I took some pictures but due to the restrictions, I didn't take enough. I printed them and gave NLB and they loved it. I eventually proposed to NLB and they gave me full permission to shoot these restricted areas: The Heritage Room, Resource Centre, Microfilm Unit, Closed Stacks and the courtyard. I promised them I'll write a good article on it and it can be found in the latest "LightBox" photo magazine issue #3, just out in PP area since last Fri. Enjoy the last few moments with the grand old lady.

greg said:
Hi.. I can understand your frustrations of being rejected the last chance to capture the library, as much of it as you can. I joined one of the first tours organised by it and was told of this restriction and the reason they gave are reasonable. They gave a tour which I find superb to out of bounds areas where most of you have never imagined existed for 40 years. These places contain precious and rare items, so the restrictions. I took some pictures but due to the restrictions, I didn't take enough. I printed them and gave NLB and they loved it. I eventually proposed to NLB and they gave me full permission to shoot these restricted areas: The Heritage Room, Resource Centre, Microfilm Unit, Closed Stacks and the courtyard. I promised them I'll write a good article on it and it can be found in the latest "LightBox" photo magazine issue #3, just out in PP area since last Fri. Enjoy the last few moments with the grand old lady.

... and don't forget to pay a visit to the courtyard on 31 Mar, it's Closing Ceremony Day.... There'll be exhibition of the prize winning photos from its recent Photo Contest too... should be a great fun day.. details here...

http://www.nlb.gov.sg/fr_announcement.asp?name=PressReleases/pr_040325.asp

still got restriction on where and waht time ppl can go there take pics ?

acetylcholine said:
still got restriction on where and waht time ppl can go there take pics ?
.. I'm afraid so for the reasons stated...

snowspeeder said:
Are we allowed to shoot inside the library?
Yes, you are allowed for this "special period", but have to inform the staff at counter. They will tell which areas are allowed. Some areas are restricted.

Maybe you try the 30/31 Mar, more chaos.
I was passing by over the weekend, and the place was like a circus.

Does anyone know the significance of the symbol below?
IMG_8326%20cropped.jpg

It's just inside the entrance of the library.

yaoxing said:
Does anyone know the significance of the symbol below?
IMG_8326%20cropped.jpg

It's just inside the entrance of the library.

Hey! I didn't notice that!! You spotted it well!!

No idea what it is though... :(

..It's the St Andrew’s Cross. It is believed that the floor design uses the cross with other elements of Christian symbolism and heraldic symbols to welcome visitors in the National Library. The 4 signs symbolize knowledge from the four corners of the world.

The_Cheat said:
Hey! I didn't notice that!! You spotted it well!!

No idea what it is though... :(

I'll probably be shooting there again on Tuesday evening. Been there on Sunday morning and Monday afternoon. Would like to take some nightly shots of the library courtyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.