Shooting at my sister's ROM

rains

May 1, 2005
I'm going to shoot at my sister's poolside ROM. They have an official photographer so technically, I am not pressured to perform.

I have some noob questions, being my first time shooting an event:

1) Do I need an external flash for the poolside ROM ceremony? The ceremony will start at 7pm.

I'm hoping to get some soft-looking pictures (not 'soft' as in 'blur', but images that don't look 'harsh' - I know most of you won't get it, but if you get it, please suggest).

2) How do you get a sharp picture for a group picture? I have tried using f10 or f11 but it doesn't work - I still get unfocused faces for people that are not positioned in the centre.

3) How do you ensure that when your picture is enlarged, the image is not blurred? When I zoom in onto the image on my camera LCD, I can see the pupil (of an eye) getting pixelated. Will an enlargement produce the same undesirable result?

I'm going to shoot at my sister's poolside ROM. They have an official photographer so technically, I am not pressured to perform.

I have some noob questions, being my first time shooting an event:

1) Do I need an external flash for the poolside ROM ceremony? The ceremony will start at 7pm.

I'm hoping to get some soft-looking pictures (not 'soft' as in 'blur', but images that don't look 'harsh' - I know most of you won't get it, but if you get it, please suggest).

2) How do you get a sharp picture for a group picture? I have tried using f10 or f11 but it doesn't work - I still get unfocused faces for people that are not positioned in the centre.

3) How do you ensure that when your picture is enlarged, the image is not blurred? When I zoom in onto the image on my camera LCD, I can see the pupil (of an eye) getting pixelated. Will an enlargement produce the same undesirable result?

1. You need to diffuse the flash, either bouncing it or using some diffuser. For a night time event, you probably need a more powerful flash than what your pop-up flash output.

2. F10-F11 should be fine. Where are you focusing? You should try to have people in a straight line, parallel to your plain of focus.

3. You should really check on a computer monitor.

Make sure you stay out of the main photographers way.

usually the ambient lighting are not ideal for photo taking, if you don't want to shoot at high ISO, than use flash.

if you refer to soft lighting, you can't do much except to soften the light physically. other than this, photoshop helps.

usual f8 is good enough, I guess you may have shoot too close to your subjects or the group spread out too much, you need to arrange the group for best results.

if you zoom in beyond 100%, of course it will be pixelated.
just get sharp focus, it can blow up the the original image size allow. anyway, usually most people only print 4R size, even not in 100% sharp focus still looks good, only 8R and above will have problem.

hope this help.

If it is outside at the pool, I would just use direct flash to get the most out of th elight since the ambient light won't be enough. Will definitely bump up the iso a bit. What is your gear btw?

Also, for group photos, normally f5.6 - f8 will be enough but stand a little bit further if you use 5.6. Make sure your shutter speed is around 1/focal length and you should be ok - I will normally adhere to this even with IS to prevent motion blurr.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your helpful input!

I don't have much 'gear' lah. Just a humble D90. I'm just about to go get an SB 900 for the flash. Is there a good shop to buy it at ie. the sales guy could advise how best to use it, or what diffuser to go with it. I read some reviews saying that if you don't know how to use the flash, it won't come out great.

haha, catchlights,
You're right. I was talking about the lighting. I always thought it's the 'man behind the machine' who took the pictures in such a way that the images have nice ambience.

another point to note to add on to what everyone has said...

since its at the pool side... don't flash until bright reflection off the pool...

and more importantly, know where you are... don't take two steps back and fall inside~!!! :eek::eek: