Shooting a Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
lsisaxon said:
Please, please don't ever do mid-roll reloading for weddings!! Very dangerous. The chances of not putting the lens cap back properly is very high.. Wasting a few frames is fine, at least you (and your clients) will have a peace of mind.

Bring a few more rolls than promised. If you're shooting for free, get the client to pay for the film. If it's a paid job, then better to throw in one or 2 more rolls for free than to miss shots because the end of the counter has been reached. The client will think that you're generous.

Nonono...what i meant is the in future the film can be used for other purposes.

Yeah it's a paid job :)

catchlights said:
don't tell me you want to re load a mid exposed roll of film.
how much $ is a roll of film? how many cents are you saving on each frame?
why waste time doing this, still have to label how many exposed frames on it.

Yeah i know but it can be done. I've done it before.

lsisaxon said:
If you don't have a 2nd body, then you really need to schedule your shots properly lor.. Bring along a PnS, it will come in useful if the situation arises. Better to have a lower quality shot than no shot at all.

Gd point there...maybe i can stuff my sony PnS inside the camera bag.

lsisaxon said:
You'll be surprised. 28mm is quite ok but good to have a wider lens just in case there is really no space. Distorted picture better than no picture. :)

Yupz, not all the time will use at the 17mm end one, can also zoom a bit to reduce the distortion and frame the whole pic depending on whether space allows u to. :)

Snoweagle said:
Yeah i know but it can be done. I've done it before.
Yeah.. but please.. don't do it for someone's big day... It's really not worth the $$ you save.

Snoweagle said:
Yupz, not all the time will use at the 17mm end one, can also zoom a bit to reduce the distortion and frame the whole pic depending on whether space allows u to. :)
Yeah. Good luck! :) Remember don't panic. You can ask the clients to slow down in their actions in you need to. Don't forget they are more excited than you are. :) Take something for breakfast if you can so that your mind will be clearer.

lsisaxon said:
Yeah. Good luck! :) Remember don't panic. You can ask the clients to slow down in their actions in you need to. Don't forget they are more excited than you are. :) Take something for breakfast if you can so that your mind will be clearer.

But it's so early...have to travel some distance too. Guess have to take cab liao :bsmilie:

Snoweagle said:
But it's so early...have to travel some distance too. Guess have to take cab liao :bsmilie:
Yeah.. maybe have some Milo or Horlick from home first.. Definitely need to take a cab, Most probably 50% surcharge also.. If you know your place is hard to get a cab, better to place an advanced booking.

lsisaxon said:
Yeah.. maybe have some Milo or Horlick from home first.. Definitely need to take a cab, Most probably 50% surcharge also.. If you know your place is hard to get a cab, better to place an advanced booking.

True...somemore it's only on the next weekend. Have to make preparations fast.

lsisaxon said:
No hard and fast rule. Generally for film, I will use either 28-70/2.6 or 24-85/2.8-4 on one body and switch between 18/2.8 and 60/2.8 Micro on another body for wide shots where space is limited and for closeups shots of significant objects respectively. Flash preferably you use a bounce card but I have resorted to using the Lumiquest Softbox.

Most important is to stay alert. Watch your foregrounds and background. If it's a group shot, remember you're the one calling the shots and arrange your subjects. Anticipate what's going to happen next (experience quite important here) and be prepared for it. Also, watch your frame counter, if you have hit 32 and you have some time and don't know what's going to come up next, just rewind and load a new roll first.

Agreed.. as 4 me, especially when i use to shoot a lot of VIP visits. Anticipation is very important.
its either u get it or u don't. n if u don't, ya pretty much screwed!!! to me, 2 things 2 lookout 4.
1) proper equipment
2) anticipation.
get information with the wedding planner if any. if not, speak to bride or groom...
most weddings r pretty standard but however, some may opt 4 something different. lookout for tat.
eg, sequence may change, timing, games etc...

Oh yah...if i'm using a 17-40mm on that day but my flash is only a 420EX and cannot go to 17mm. So is it necessary to use 580EX instead?

i dun really understand what u are asking..

does it matter?

Snoweagle said:
Oh yah...if i'm using a 17-40mm on that day but my flash is only a 420EX and cannot go to 17mm. So is it necessary to use 580EX instead?
When you use a bounce card or omnibounce, it should be able to cover the angle. But bear in mind that it reduces your guide number.

lsisaxon said:
When you use a bounce card or omnibounce, it should be able to cover the angle. But bear in mind that it reduces your guide number.

Ok so i don't need the 580EX. Flash intensity reduced is ok cos i'm standing near to the subjects.

Snoweagle said:
Ok so i don't need the 580EX. Flash intensity reduced is ok cos i'm standing near to the subjects.
Yeah.. Then it's fine.

lsisaxon said:
Yeah.. Then it's fine.

Sorry bro for asking so much cos it's my 1st time doing this and i don't wish to spoil any pics for their big day.

Snoweagle said:
Sorry bro for asking so much cos it's my 1st time doing this and i don't wish to spoil any pics for their big day.

Don't have any bad shots? you must be very good.
Don't think any Pro can make such statement. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.