Shooting a void-deck wedding with a HV30 (NTSC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmayat

Apr 13, 2009
Singapore
Hi,

This is my first posting here.

Here's the thing, anybody ever shot a Malay Wedding at a void-deck using the HV30?
My previous experience is with a NV-GS120.

My wife's uncle ask me to shoot his son's wedding as a favour, so I wondered what's the best setting to use. 24p? 30fps? Cine mode? Since the solemnisation ceremony too will be help at the void-deck, I worry about the adequate lighting and audio.

For audio I plan to place a Zoom H4 next to the groom and sync the audio later.
As it is a run and gun affair, I don't plan to fiddle with the settings while the ceremony is taking place.

Anybody with advise on what I should look out for?

Thanks

Hey mrmayat I've thought of using the Zoom (mine's H2) to sync up audio and video but I've read that the timecode drifts. May not be able to sync up exactly. Google around, you can read up on this problem among Zoom + video users...

For the record I have not tried this. At least, not for syncing clips of very long durations.

yup. I've read about timecode drift. I'm hoping the ceremony won't take very long. Also, since I'm not shooting when there is 'lull' period in the ceremony, I doubt the whole thing would be long. Wish they had made a remote for the Zoom.

they do have a remote for the zoom! but itz wired so no use.. the lag issue can resolve with a bit of compensation but not perfect of cse.

anyway, the HV25 should be on 25P or 50i. If u do 25P dun pan too fast, we shutter. As for 50i, there is no prob at all.

Interesting why you bought a NTSC camcorder over the PAL one. Editing could be problem if your NLE doesn't have the right capture preset for 24P. So check the NLE features before making your choice. 24P gives you a mor romantic film look but 30 is safe vanilla for editing in NTSC.

For the NLE, I'm capturing/editing using Adobe Premiere on a machine with Canopus Edius Hardware/Software.(Not my NLE station, just happen to be in-charge of it.)
I'm also considering using installing Vegas, which some say can remove the pulldown on-the-fly while capturing.
I don't think capturing and editing will be much of a problem here.

The NTSC HV30 flicker in my bedroom, but is flicker-free in my office. So, I'm sticking to 24p indoors just to be on the safe side.
Raising the shutter speed to 100 while shooting 30p removes the flicker but then have the problem of adequate lighting.

Well, a wedding is romantic, but personally, when editing, I always try to go for comedy.

For the NLE, I'm capturing/editing using Adobe Premiere on a machine with Canopus Edius Hardware/Software.(Not my NLE station, just happen to be in-charge of it.)
I'm also considering using installing Vegas, which some say can remove the pulldown on-the-fly while capturing.
I don't think capturing and editing will be much of a problem here.

The NTSC HV30 flicker in my bedroom, but is flicker-free in my office. So, I'm sticking to 24p indoors just to be on the safe side.
Raising the shutter speed to 100 while shooting 30p removes the flicker but then have the problem of adequate lighting.

Well, a wedding is romantic, but personally, when editing, I always try to go for comedy.

I suggest you check out the flicker situation using 24p. The results I got when testing a Nikon D90 at 24p in Singapore were quite terrible. The shots with lights in them showed flickeing and flashing problems and the footage was pretty much unusable. If 30p is marginal I expect 24p will be much worse because it is a lot closer to the power frequency of 50Hz.

Suggest not to shoot 25p or 24p under the blocks. Unless u have two cameras and adequate lighting. Too fast a movement for Malay Wedding.Shoot in 50i if only using 1 camera.

I plan to check out what's the lighting like in a void deck during the day, maybe with the light on, if possible. If not, maybe at night.
Maybe the lights don't flicker, like in my office, or they do, like in my bedroom. A lot of maybes to ponder...
Hmmm...Thanks for the advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.