Shooting a President on a Budget

sougen

Dec 6, 2008
Across the Causeway
I stumbled upon a very nice article about a photographer being asked/assigned to shoot a portrait photo of, what else, a President of a nation. He details his experiences on how he handled the photoshoot, but I'm much intrigued by his camera setup (or rather, how inexpensive his gears are).

• A Canon EOS 40D (can be had fro cheap used, nowadays),
  • 2 color-gelled Speedlite 580EX IIs,
  • Cactus V4 triggers - just your typical eBay triggers, no fancy/expensive PWs or Pixels here.

Replace the EF 50mm f/1.2L lens (which, straight from the horse's mouth, is Canon's biggest shame) with another equivalent or better lens of similar focal length, and you find yourself that his setup is no less expensive than most hobbyists here can do.

An inspiring post for new strobists to take note, and to vaccinate most newbies from the BBB syndrome by eschewing more expensive gears for something that can be had for cheap.

http://www.kareldonk.com/karel/2010/09/13/photoshoot-president-d-d-bouterse-of-suriname/

Thank you for sharing. It shows what lighting can really do for your subject :)

the Halo light is important

"....But then I thought what if the yellow light would come from above? ........Obviously that could add some more meaning to the picture in a spiritual sense. ........ By carefully positioning the flash I could also make the yellow light fall on just his head and shoulders......."

Last edited:

"....But then I thought what if the yellow light would come from above? ........Obviously that could add some more meaning to the picture in a spiritual sense. ........ By carefully positioning the flash I could also make the yellow light fall on just his head and shoulders......."
a kicker light will do fine, a hair light will only "highlight" that area which the President may not want people to pay too much attention with. :)

the lighting set up is good, however, no offend intended, I will skip using the hair light on this subject. :)

using the term hair light is already offensive. :bsmilie:

i think ed used the correct term.:sweatsm:

Thanks for sharing! haven't ventured into off-camera strobes yet but an interesting read on the setup:)

btw... your title a little sensitive in the era of terrorism... :sweat: