Shooting 90 degrees down from the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

AenTan

Mar 30, 2007
Singapore
aendirect.com
I like to achieve something like http://www.muji.net/img/relation_inc/4548718031429_sub04.jpg for a product (my own) I'm shooting. Books and bookmarks and I like the top down effect. How should I do this? I'm guessing I need to improvise some kind of horizontal tripod thingie like this...

setupun0.jpg

Anyone have better ideas? :D

Some tripods allow you to rotate the entire center column to a horizontal position, but usually, it's not the steadiest. Steadiest would be studio support stands.

Here's the thing, does your item stand up vertically? If they are books and book marks, I think they do most of the time, no one will know if you shoot horizontally from the front or from the top.

Some cloth rectangular containers from Ikea may be able to help you achieve what you want. Shining a light source against these cloth containers would give a nice diffusions, thus creates a nice shooting environments :D

3113485865_436aff0c33_m.jpg

something like this? just need to extend the legs full 90 degree and rest on the box if you want to follow the original design.

Last edited:
I like to achieve something like http://www.muji.net/img/relation_inc/4548718031429_sub04.jpg for a product (my own) I'm shooting. Books and bookmarks and I like the top down effect. How should I do this? I'm guessing I need to improvise some kind of horizontal tripod thingie like this...

Anyone have better ideas? :D

Spread the tripod legs big-big (sounds dirty... hahaha) over the box.
Invert the center column
carry on from there.

The free tripods that are bundled with cameras usually aren't able to invert the centre column.
You'd probably have to buy another tripod.
Depending on your budget, the brands you can consider (in ascending order of price):
Fancier, Benro, Manfrotto, Gitzo

If you only want to use this 1 time, I could loan you my tripod. It can't support too heavy a weight though (mine not the high-end one). My D80 + kit lens (estimate < 1kg total) can be supported in this manner. PM me if you need my help.

kinda simple... take a light tent, rotate the opening to the top or get 1 with a top opening. then get a tripod with adjustable centre column, like a 190xpro or 055xpro, or get a boom stand.

Sounds like you need a copy stand. Kaiser makes really good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.