Shoot with tripod or without tripod when doing macros?

Do you shoot macros with or without a tripod setup?

Results are only viewable after voting.

dykat2009

Jul 6, 2009
Jurong West St65
Just a poll to survey what is the general setup by macros shooter.

Looks like I am spreading the macros "poison" .:bsmilie:

Just a poll to survey what is the general setup by macros shooter.

Looks like I am spreading the macros "poison" .:bsmilie:

Looks like you are being poison rather than spreading poison!:bsmilie:

Go buy a Gitzo Explorer series, no need survey. You need it, not the forumer need it:devil:

with the robotic arms, 2 to 3 SB26s, pao wrappers, flash light, UV light n the plamp ....need a tripod :bigeyes::bsmilie::bigeyes::bsmilie:

So simple just buy a Gitzo, bring it along whenever going shooting. Shoot with handheld and when it don't run away shoot again with tripod

external flash, big diffusers, torchlight, waterbottles, for some guys an extra macro lens...add to that a tripod...
I guess for AP its ok since its more open area... for LPR, you will die carrying so much through that jungle.
Plus, its easier to carry less, gives more options to move around, bend at odd angles, stretch out to the max to take that tiny little leafhopper that would otherwise be out of reach :p

But then, to each their own... I go without a tripod coz mine is too heavy for long excursions..so unless absolutely necessary, I prefer to avoid...

For me, I'll shoot handheld and when the subject is still and long exposures are needed, I will consider using the tripod. An example will be the UV shot of the scorpion in AP. :)

All in all, I'll always carry a tripod for night macro :).

I prefer to use handheld rather than using tripod. I can work around easily with better composition. Travel light is one of my consideration as well.

Shakey hands me... :embrass: so tripod most of the times..

For me, I prefer handheld as I can control the angle better and also sometimes it is near impossible to setup the tripod in places like LPR. Atmost, I use a monopod. :)

Looks like you are being poison rather than spreading poison!:bsmilie:

Go buy a Gitzo Explorer series, no need survey. You need it, not the forumer need it:devil:

With so many macros shooters posting their nice photos, It is good to get more feedback.

I know having a tripod is good. My pocket not deep enough for Gitzo:)

I hypnotized the insect, so it'll keep still & also obey my commands. So no need tripod. Sometimes the insect hypnotize me & I keep still & obey their commands...........;p :bsmilie: Tripod for me. It doubles as a mono pod too. 5 legs are better than 2 legs than no shots ;)

Another good usage of having tripod is you park your big gun/robotic arm/dual flash with "pao" diffuser/focusing light in one corner and happily go search your insect within bushes without the big load.:sweatsm:

It is good to see so many feedback.

Use tripod! My tripod is... a freebie when I bought my prosumer cam about 7 years ago. Thin and scrawny but still works mah..

Other than the shooting benefits (or cons), tripod is good for holding your gear while u bash thru the bushes. No need to keep carrying everything or hanging it round your neck.

I use tripod at home, hand-held when i'm out. Some insects won't even stay still long enough to set up a tripod, nor are they that accessible.
I have taken the tripod out at times, but from experience i've rarely had the opportunity to use it. For more accessible areas (eg, botanic gardens), i'll take the tripod just in case the opportunity arises.

hmm... i always wonder how, with their complicated tripod set-up, both sayyiam and mousedeer could get so many nice macro pics....

even liew and orion use tripod, i think...

:dunno:

hmm... i always wonder how, with their complicated tripod set-up, both sayyiam and mousedeer could get so many nice macro pics....

even liew and orion use tripod, i think...

:dunno:

Sometimes they take the subject to the tripod. Eg, crab spider :)
You can get a clamp attached to an arm which you can fix to your Tripod, that way you can hold the subject directly in front of the camera :)

Sometimes they take the subject to the tripod. Eg, crab spider :)
You can get a clamp attached to an arm which you can fix to your Tripod, that way you can hold the subject directly in front of the camera :)

ha ha.. wait till the park ranger comes and give warning.... :bsmilie::angel:

depend on situation ...
if possible ... tripod ...
limited space and odd angle ... handheld ;p

most the time ,must tripod, do not care how many insects catched by one day,
may be one day 1 or 2 very nice pictures enough:D

most the time ,must tripod, do not care how many insects catched by one day,
may be one day 1 or 2 very nice pictures enough:D

but if u use a tripod, that means you would use AF for the lens? bcos, for MF, we need to move physically forward and backward to achieve focus... :sweat: