shoot outdoor and indoor scenes in an instant using DSLR?

Nov 5, 2009
I heard a lot of information that DSLR will have condensation when moving to cold environment to warn environment. One of the suggestion is keeping the DSLR in ziplock before going to warm environment for DSLR having gradual time to adjust the temperature. Now, what if the case is: I am now in Sweden, and there are a lot of beautiful scenes outside and also inside (eg museums). How do I use my DSLR to shoot outdoor scenes and after that going to a museum and shoot it directly without without some time DSLR to adjust the temperature?

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
You can't beat Physics: the camera will need time to warm up and condensation might occur (depending on inside conditions). Usually it's gone after a few minutes.
Don't rush, take your time. It's holiday, not work where you need to deliver results according the 'efficiency mantra' :)

Nov 5, 2009
Hey thanks for your reply. I am heading to Kiruna this week but I am still doubt to bring my Nikon D5000. It is a brand new so that I am afraid it will damage any lens and body when I shoot outdoor. Any suggestions to avoid it? Or any enlightments to do so? Or do I just bring P&S there?

Edwin Francis

Mar 24, 2006
www.sgwriter.com
There are several reasons I'd bring a P&S on a trip and leave the DSLR at home. None of them involve worrying that camera will be damaged by cold or condensation. I'm sure Swedes use DSLRs too.
There are numerous previous threads about this -- suggest you do a search.

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
Hey thanks for your reply. I am heading to Kiruna this week but I am still doubt to bring my Nikon D5000. It is a brand new so that I am afraid it will damage any lens and body when I shoot outdoor. Any suggestions to avoid it? Or any enlightments to do so? Or do I just bring P&S there?
Does the manual state "Not suitable for outdoor usage"? If not, take, shoot, stop worrying. Many people have done it before and enjoyed the images they took. Not sure why you think it will be different with your camera :sweat:

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
1. We have about 100 "cold weather" threads, including a sticky. Read up.
2. Use some common sense and logic - Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, etc, are ALL Japanese brands - Japan has cold weather, snow, etc - Why oh why would they design a camera that would not work in their own climate? - Why oh why do you not hear of Europeans, Japanese, Americans, all complaining about their DSLR cameras failing every winter time? Answer: They do not treat their camera like tofu, they just go out and shoot.

Sep 12, 2009
If you don't want to use your D5000 because it's brand new, then maybe you ought to get another D5000. So that you can always have one that's brand new- and then you can actually use the other one....... :dunno:

Sivakis

Sep 26, 2008
Although mine's not a Nikon, it's been pretty roughly handled in both indoor and outdoor. It still keeps on chugging along. Events, skateparks, beaches, rain, shattered the LCD screen protector....

... your camera isn't made of paper so stop worrying about it getting damaged by a slight knock or rough handling. Shoot and have fun!

Top Bottom