Shoot RAW or Jpeg for Events?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowcrash

Jan 18, 2002
Western SG
Visit site
Just curious since nowadays CF cards price had drop... do you prefer to shoot raw or jpeg for events like weddings / concerts / dinners etc

Depends on how the pics are to be used. if the pics are to be printed big and your cam could take raw without slowing down, go for raw. I generally switch to raw only when I need to take pics of large groups of people. My cam could produce more than good enough JPEG for other circumstances.

Used to shoot all JPG for events... until I screwed up an important cake cutting once...
From then on I'll switch to RAW when there's something important..

If you can afford to waste diskspace, and some little time (remember, RAW files need longer time to write to the CF card, depending on the camera)... you should use RAW for events...

but then... if you're shooting for other events like Sports... maybe.. RAW might be too slow..

I'm thinking of shooting raw too for events... any batch process software to recommend for 300D?

RAWs, unless specific requests for JPEGs. But it's my own QC that cannot pass my heart, so I still prefer RAWs.

hi espn, we meet again on this issue.

Snowcrash : In the end the choice is yours, it depends on your workflow and if the amount that you charge for the shoot.

Cheers

only shoot raw when I'm using MF ( no choice ) other than that I'll shoot in jpeg unless the shot will be blown beyond 20 X 24

yqt said:
only shoot raw when I'm using MF ( no choice ) other than that I'll shoot in jpeg unless the shot will be blown beyond 20 X 24

u got MF with digital back??

think it also depends on how many pics u taking... u going to shoot continuously for the entire whole day even, think raw will eat up very fast...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
u got MF with digital back??

think it also depends on how many pics u taking... u going to shoot continuously for the entire whole day even, think raw will eat up very fast...
Yes, he has.
Anyway, due to the volume of assignments, has to get it right on site. not to come back spend double or triple of the working hours post process it.

willyfoo said:
Used to shoot all JPG for events... until I screwed up an important cake cutting once...
From then on I'll switch to RAW when there's something important..

for me everything i shoot is important, i rather scrimp my shots and think if it works than take my chance, no more jpeg for me.

for posters and lightbox etc , give my clients in 16bt tiff format, you can guess how many CDs/DVDs per disk, barely 18 per CD.

Shoot JPEG (highest resolution setting) all the time...... RAW postprocessing is so time consuming.

Unless clients specify that they are going to use it for posters or A4 spread, then shoot in RAW.

Rule of Thumb for DTP - Even if you shoot in the highest resolution JPEG, after postprocessing, save them as TIFF, to prevent further deterioraton in resolution. Do not save the file again as JPEG.

Xing said:
Shoot JPEG (highest resolution setting) all the time...... RAW postprocessing is so time consuming.

Unless clients specify that they are going to use it for posters or A4 spread, then shoot in RAW.

Rule of Thumb for DTP - Even if you shoot in the highest resolution JPEG, after postprocessing, save them as TIFF, to prevent further deterioraton in resolution. Do not save the file again as JPEG.

How do you save a JPEG file to TIFF????

Status
Not open for further replies.