Shoot Bird Lens???

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-user

Mar 11, 2006
TPY
Okay, if one want to go Brid Park, Sungei Buloh etc etc shoot bird etc.... any 3rd party prime lens to recommend (budget constraint)??? Around the 200mm to 300mm range??? (if that is even enough???).... :dunno:

Okay, if one want to go Brid Park, Sungei Buloh etc etc shoot bird etc.... any 3rd party prime lens to recommend (budget constraint)??? Around the 200mm to 300mm range??? (if that is even enough???).... :dunno:

For what camera ?? ;)

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM lens, why?

1)High speed lens (f2.8) to freeze bird movement
2)HSM is for fast autofocus, cause the next sec the bird might just flew away.

3) i quote sigma, cause u didnt state what model u using thus a general 3rd party brand.

3) i quote sigma, cause u didnt state what model u using thus a general 3rd party brand.

Sorry, I use Nikon D50.... but eyeing the D80... :devil:

Sorry, I use Nikon D50.... but eyeing the D80... :devil:

really depends on ur budget
if it isnt that high, then a nikon af-s 300 f/4 might be gd for u. also the nikon 70-200/80-200 f/2.8 might be worth considering but u might want to buy a tc too

of course theres sigma and tokina, but sigma for hsm is :thumbsup:

You typically need at least 300mm and above to shoot bird, else be bo bo shooter :bsmilie:

You typically need at least 300mm and above to shoot bird, else be bo bo shooter :bsmilie:

well it depends, but its mostly so
ive gotten pics at 200mm and less (though on a 1.5x crop sensor) which wouldnt have worked at 300mm

the longer the better lah. in JBP 300mm loh. ;)

ya lar bro, that time you all go outing use the 300mm until siok siok.... me no budget now, just researching only.... but cfm wil go for one of those 3rd party one.... even I got the $$$$, I go buy a Nikon telephoto.... my financial controller will terminate me.... :sweat:

ya lor, many years back, went to Sungei Buloh with the 18-200mm..... thought siok siok can shoot.... alamak see those pro, all take out long long lens.... :sweat:... I pack up and went back home.... :rolleyes:

Not long enuff. Esp. for wild birds. For strictly captive birds (i.e. JBP) its good tho.

For wild birds at Sungei Buloh, Botanics Gardens etc., you will need a minimum 300mm lens and above, period. In fact for birding I would recommend at least a 400mm focal length.

3rd party lens...if u dun mind zooms, the Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma" or the Tamron 200mm-500mm give you quite decent image quality and reach.

At such long telephoto. do you guys use tripod or mono pod all the time?

That would be a good advantage over hand holding. You'd get tired eventually.

Not long enuff. Esp. for wild birds. For strictly captive birds (i.e. JBP) its good tho.

For wild birds at Sungei Buloh, Botanics Gardens etc., you will need a minimum 300mm lens and above, period. In fact for birding I would recommend at least a 400mm focal length.

3rd party lens...if u dun mind zooms, the Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma" or the Tamron 200mm-500mm give you quite decent image quality and reach.

Yo Garion...excellent recommendation there :thumbsup:

hahah, come come, however lemme put in a word or 2 for the 70-200 range

A 70-200f2.8 vr can indeed be used for birding, small skittish birds which can be approached are sometimes easier shot handheld. VR is almost a must as very often, the bird is under thick foilage thus resulting in lower light levels. Without stabilisation, the 70-200 range is no longer useful.

refer to these 2 threads I prev posted:
http://clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278589
http://clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325974

of course for other birds, u would need a minimum of 400mm
Also consider the very excellent sigma 120-300f2.8 and use it with a 2x TC,
I think there's 1 or 2 on the B&S now.

u need a TC or two and at least a lens of 400mm to shoot...
unless u are lucky enough to have the birds close to u...
200mm is just close enough to shot animals in the zoo which sometime i dont find it long enough...

Depends on what kinda birds you wanna photograph i think... because some birds are very small and fast... some birds are very slow and big... I would love to own a Sigma 50-500mm... because it's cheap for it's range. Sigma kinda produce great lenses.

I am using 70-300mm Sigma now. It's a very very budget lens which worked pretty alright for me since I am not an extreme avid bird shooter, just have interest in bird photography.

This lens requires really good lighting though because it is slow. Kinda soft too... but if you are able to go down to F8< , then it should be good enuff for own viewing pleasure.

2163403508_3652cb51fe_o.jpg

The above is a cropped pic on a 350D using the Sigma 70-300mm. Taking into consideration that I am just an amateur, the photos could be made better with a better photographer using this lens. So, if you really on a budget like me, maybe you could consider this lens. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.