Shockingly degraded images after mirror driving unit was replaced at NSC

JoeyFO

Jan 15, 2013
Singapore
Recently, I went to NSC for sensor cleaning for my D7000, then somehow they kept my camera for a week and returned with mirror driving unit replaced (done for free although it is not under warranty).

Then, last weekend I shot some pics for the first time since the camera was returned, but shocked to see the downloaded RAW images cos they all look visibly degraded, less sharp, less clarity. I think it's obvious to anyone's eyes. I'm even wondering whether some parts were replaced with the ones from a lower model… I've uploaded a few images for comparison.

Before mirror driving unit was replaced.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z44udlbz1w4x9mj/brunei_0020.dng (f/8, 1/250s, ISO 100)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4098tl6ob3e3rf/brunei_0169.dng (f/8, 1/250s, ISO 100)

After mirror driving unit was replaced.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xp8s4cmkie9lqzl/indonesia_0003.dng (f/9, 1/320s, ISO 100)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yltbp85dbk1oynj/indonesia_0004.dng (f/9, 1/320s, ISO 100)

All images were taken with D7000 with 18-200mm.

What do you think? I'll contact NSC for sure, but what can I ask them to do? Thanks for your advice.

Please show NSC your photos with all the EXIF data and tell them that they just replaced the mirror drive unit.

It's obvious that the Indonesia photos are slightly soft, blurry; more like a product of handshake/vibration.

but the sharpness could falls into subjective portion because it may vary from lens, composition or shooting style. You mentioned that the lens using were the 18-200, is it Nikon? Or is it a 3rd party?

Can you try using different lens and see the result?

You may also try a non scientific approach like photograph a steady object using tripod with vr off; in different apertures. If all of the aperture settings render the same softness even at the sweetest spot at f8, then you may need to contact NIKON. They may do some calibration (I really don't know)

Last edited:
Had a look at the photos ..... at 1/320s at 18mm, unless it is on purpose, it is not possible for camera shake due to hand holding and the 18-200 have no lens mount.

The photos seems consistent with camera shake yet it is not likely due to hand hold techniques, I would suspect that that a certain mechanism is shaky/loose or causing vibration

@TS: You can bring the body and your 18-200mm for them to have a look to let them have a look at both the body and lens.
By policy, they have to give you a quotation before they start a repair.

Last edited:
Err....what is a mirror driving unit? Both before and after, look the same standard (i.e. a bit out of focus).

If you are photographing something that is so far away, obviously at or near infinity with no prominent object in the foreground that you may like to be in focus, why is your focused distance 2.66m and 2.24m respectively. Even if you rely on hyperfocal distance, that's not what one would normally do.

Last edited:
Yes, i took the trouble to open both files and taken a look.

Yes, its shaky.

Most importantly, it can be fixed by communication (w NSC). No need to get worked up.

Thanks for your advice, all. :) Yes, it's Nikon 18-200mm, not 3rd party. Actually, all 20+ photos taken last weekend (after mirror driving unit was replaced) were similarly soft and blurry, without one single exception, which is why I'm wondering something may have gone wrong at NSC. Anyway, I'll try as advised. I have one more lens (50mm, f/1.4) that I didn't use last weekend. Will try shooting with it and see how it'll come out first...

I concur, l'm more shocked that l need to download the photos.
Haha, sorry for the trouble of downloading large files. Could have re-sized, but thought that 800x600 images wouldn't help spot the difference.

Last edited:
Side track, but even though it is a free replacement, shouldn't NSC contact owners informing them of this? :?

Haha, sorry for the trouble of downloading large files. Could have re-sized, but thought that 800x600 images wouldn't help spot the difference.

Next time, can just crop 100%, maybe 800x800 pixels... Post up here, will get faster response... I mean with blazing Internet speeds these days sure it really doesn't take much I admit, but it's so much more of a hassle to download 4 files, and open them in a RAW program. :p

Hope you solve your problem soon!

Next time, can just crop 100%, maybe 800x800 pixels...
You're absolutely right! That should have been the way. Silly that I didn't think about it. Thanks for your kind advice!

Bring along the len when you go NSC and the tech will test shoot on spot with you to check... Don't go to wrong address after 10/6/2013, they are moving to new premises at church st...

Recently, I went to NSC for sensor cleaning for my D7000, then somehow they kept my camera for a week and returned with mirror driving unit replaced (done for free although it is not under warranty).
..... I'm even wondering whether some parts were replaced with the ones from a lower model…

A few reasons why I don't think NSC will replace the parts from lower model

1. Compatibility-usually, critical parts for one model are not compatible with lower end models. Only minor parts like focusing screen, hot-shoe, ...etc are compatible.
2. Not pratical- the labor cost in dismantling and reassemblying of parts will cost more than the savings from using right part minus the cost of lower end parts. (Also applicable for 3rd party repair ;) )
3. Service center's reputation is on the line, they won't risk it.

Last edited:
Aiyah find a solution go back to Nikon Singapore to have it check again maybe it need to reconfigure or update your firmware.

I too got a second hand D7000, but was plagued by "brown spots" that kept accumulating on the sensors. Sent them twice for cleaning but it didn't help. I went there the third time and NSC said will replace the mirror. I am collecting the camera this afternoon. Pls pray for me! I am really tired ...