shld newbie buy Nikkon D70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naviseal

Feb 27, 2004
Coronado
hi all, i am a newbie in d.photography.

i never use a digital camera before and i dun own one either.
i am considering buying my very 1st d.camera and this Nikon D70 is my no 1 choice, as recommeded by some CS people here.
Shld i buy this camera for beginner like me?
hav heard someone said that beginner shld buy small d.camera to pratise before investing into a better and ex. one.
i already have 2 other film type camera and buying a small d.camera and later the D70, i think is a waste of money leh.
would like to heard comment before parting my hard earn $$$. thx

I'm no expert. As it is, i'm a newbie myself and has been for the past year..... heh heh.... My heart drifted somewhere else ..... Lol..... regretably, Thru out this year, i have been thinking.... Am i really serious about photography or just a passing fancy. Is it wise then to invest so much? The other question is that i realised that even while using my fren's DSLR, my pics were mediocre at best. I didnt even have the basics and most important of all, i am of the opinion now that u can still take great pics with normal cameras. It is the essence of the scene that you are trying to capture and having the best camera out there doesnt guarantee u that although good cameras allow more flexibility to create the ultimate scene u want. my 2 cents. Please correct me if i'm wrong, gurus.....

Cheers!

Digital photography is not easy... it involves color management skills and photoshop. Your PC literally becomes your own darkroom and a lot of people , me included, neglected that aspect assuming that once you shoot you can show all.

If you wan to shoot and forget about all else... use film

I starting digital, make that photography, one year back. I went from a Olympus 2100 to Fuji 602 to my current D100. And guess what? I am shooting film now with a F80. photography is essentially about having fun and discovering oneself. you don need a DSLR to shoot properly.

Sathea does it with his Nikon prosumer. Gremlin did it with his 707. Malkw & Wolfgang did it with their 602. What's there to stop you from achieving just as much, if not more?

To add on to what seb has said.

The only gratification you can get out of a DSLR is basically reviewing as you shoot. Other than that it's still a SLR.

naviseal said:
hi all, i am a newbie in d.photography.

i never use a digital camera before and i dun own one either.
i am considering buying my very 1st d.camera and this Nikon D70 is my no 1 choice, as recommeded by some CS people here.
Shld i buy this camera for beginner like me?
hav heard someone said that beginner shld buy small d.camera to pratise before investing into a better and ex. one.
i already have 2 other film type camera and buying a small d.camera and later the D70, i think is a waste of money leh.
would like to heard comment before parting my hard earn $$$. thx

it can be a good tool for learning, if you adopt the right learning attitudes.
like wat that sebastian posted, digital photography is not only about capturing the pictures you want. thats only the first part. the subsequent parts are post processing, printing...etc. which i also considered as important.

thks :D to all who had contributed their suggestions.
i think i will delay my investment on d. camera, ie D70. :nono:

naviseal said:
thks :D to all who had contributed their suggestions.
i think i will delay my investment on d. camera, ie D70. :nono:

Well, I guess it's all up to what you want. I just started Digital PHotography, got myself a 300D to start with, and I'm using a Olympus Film previously. Film was working fine for me until I find myself spending quite a bit on Film to CD, so decided to go digital, and I wanted to learn up SLR...

There I am, go myself a DSLR and trying out and learning... :D:D:D:D

lingfoo said:
Well, I guess it's all up to what you want. I just started Digital PHotography, got myself a 300D to start with, and I'm using a Olympus Film previously. Film was working fine for me until I find myself spending quite a bit on Film to CD, so decided to go digital, and I wanted to learn up SLR...

There I am, go myself a DSLR and trying out and learning... :D:D:D:D

actually i wanted to buy the 300D at first but then this D70 came out later with quite gd review. Yes, film is too costly compare to cd, and that is one of the reason why i opts to buy DSLR now. My canon film camera is already more than 6 years old liao, time to let go and get a better one. :blah:

naviseal said:
actually i wanted to buy the 300D at first but then this D70 came out later with quite gd review. Yes, film is too costly compare to cd, and that is one of the reason why i opts to buy DSLR now. My canon film camera is already more than 6 years old liao, time to let go and get a better one. :blah:

Film is too costly? Are you sure or not? If you have machinegun style of course it will be expensive. Else film will definitely be cheaper. Also post processing for digital takes time and time equals to money. :bsmilie:

naviseal said:

u own a canon SLR?? if yes it would be adviseable to buy 300D so that u could reuse your existing lens...

frankly was at IT show last week with my friends and was trying out some of the DSLRs, my friend proceeded to buy 300D, i would also prob buy D70 if my bank got $$$ and if i had not invested in digital viewcam earlier,

if u are serious enough, u could consider borrowing some DSLR from your friends and try your hand on them, do a bit of post processing etc......
if u like what u are doing, then go ahead and buy.....
otherwise if could be pretty exp if its a passing fancy thingy.

for me, my 1 and only SLR, Nikon F70, has been my reliable partner for almost a decade now, was like you then, so when to do some shooting with my friend figured i like this hobby and never regreted my decision to dig deep into my pocket for my F70, had lots of wonderful experience since then.....

long term i think its cheaper to go digital.....

my $0.02 worth ;)

zombiez said:
Film is too costly? Are you sure or not? If you have machinegun style of course it will be expensive. Else film will definitely be cheaper. Also post processing for digital takes time and time equals to money. :bsmilie:

I think film being costly or not is rather subjective. For me, film is quite costly, since I shoot like 3 rolls of film/slide every week. The process fee, plus cost of film will add up to about $18 per roll, i.e. $54 per week. For a year, that's like $2808. And that's excluding the cost my SLR, and accesories! Mind you, I'm not a machinegun style shooter, and really hated it when the cost factor prevented me from experimenting with different exposure on the same composition. Sigh! :(

Still, I think film is more worth it, since there's no lying on film! What you shoot is what you get! :D

zombiez said:

film cannot preview as compare to digital. i have to develop all even though u know the subject is not in the right position.
nope, i dun have machine gun style. infact i cosider myself a sniper hehehe.
in long run i believe is going to save more if using digital.

mysonlovenemo said:
u own a canon SLR?? if yes it would be adviseable to buy 300D so that u could reuse your existing lens...

frankly was at IT show last week with my friends and was trying out some of the DSLRs, my friend proceeded to buy 300D, i would also prob buy D70 if my bank got $$$ and if i had not invested in digital viewcam earlier,

if u are serious enough, u could consider borrowing some DSLR from your friends and try your hand on them, do a bit of post processing etc......
if u like what u are doing, then go ahead and buy.....
otherwise if could be pretty exp if its a passing fancy thingy.

for me, my 1 and only SLR, Nikon F70, has been my reliable partner for almost a decade now, was like you then, so when to do some shooting with my friend figured i like this hobby and never regreted my decision to dig deep into my pocket for my F70, had lots of wonderful experience since then.....

long term i think its cheaper to go digital.....

my $0.02 worth ;)

fully agreed with what u said...long term i think its cheaper to go digital!!!
nope i only have a auto focus canon film camera. It is time for some DSLR!! :blah:

naviseal said:
It is time for some DSLR!! :blah:

looks like there gonna be another DSLR user soon ;)

btw have u checked out the prices,
my friend brought her 300D from MS color (AMK) better deal than what she could get from the IT show, so if u really keen, could call them to check out the px, their website is here http://www.mscolor.com.sg,
at least u have some indicative pricing in mind before shopping ard for best deal

have fun shooting

sebastiansong said:
Digital photography is not easy... it involves color management skills and photoshop. Your PC literally becomes your own darkroom and a lot of people , me included, neglected that aspect assuming that once you shoot you can show all.

I starting digital, make that photography, one year back. I went from a Olympus 2100 to Fuji 602 to my current D100. And guess what? I am shooting film now with a F80. photography is essentially about having fun and discovering oneself. you don need a DSLR to shoot properly.

Sathea does it with his Nikon prosumer. Gremlin did it with his 707. Malkw & Wolfgang did it with their 602. What's there to stop you from achieving just as much, if not more?

YOu cannot master programmable calculator by learning abacus first!

sebastiansong said:

Are you saying that film photo does not need color management and processing?

Ice said:
Are you saying that film photo does not need color management and processing?

He is talking about post-processing. Images straight out of the DSLR are seldom perfect without post-processing of some sort. For film, it's just that your minilab operator does it for you behind-the-scene.

Ah Pao said:
He is talking about post-processing. Images straight out of the DSLR are seldom perfect without post-processing of some sort. For film, it's just that your minilab operator does it for you behind-the-scene.

oh i see, so when u sent you film to develope, those operator actually touch up the pic for you? i dunno that.

Status
Not open for further replies.