Shld I move to a nikon D90 from cannon 450D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
HI guys n gals...

Guess 1st thing many will ask is: Why u want to upgrade in the 1st place???

I shoot 30% -50% indoors and many times during night (already using 50mm F1.8 lens)... the 450D low light and rather limited ISO don't really fit well with what I want in my photos.

I've seen nikon D90 high ISO being very clean and sharp... and I am always hooked towards camera with such performance.

So... is the move worth it? i probably need to top up $700-750 to get a used D90 from selling the 450D ... but at least i get a longer range lens of 18-105mm rather then the now 18-55mm ...

BTW, is Nikon service ctr good?? say if compared to Canon ?

HI guys n gals...

I shoot 30% -50% indoors and many times during night (already using 50mm F1.8 lens)... the 450D low light and rather limited ISO don't really fit well with what I want in my photos.

I've seen nikon D90 high ISO being very clean and sharp... and I am always hooked towards camera with such performance.

So... is the move worth it? i probably need to top up $700-750 to get a used D90 from selling the 450D ... but at least i get a longer range lens of 18-105mm rather then the now 18-55mm ...

ya D90's high ISO performance is good, but not enough to justify switching camps if that is the ONLY reason.

If you shoot on a tripod, you can stick with low ISO with longer exposures. It is not a big enough difference on the ISO performance to switch from Canon to Nikon. Even if you really want to switch, you may want to think of a higher end model like the new D300s or D700.

HI guys n gals...

I will use that $700-$750 to buy new lens...
I am a Nikon user btw...
:):)

Yes, you should change because Nikon D90 has proven to be good and since you spelled Canon in your title with two N, I presume you don't like it. :)

this is a question no one can answer except you,

and canon users will say NO cos the 450D is also a good camera.

nikon users will say YES because the D90 is a good camera too!'

from a neutral point of view, i think the D90 will fit you better,

since you need the high ISO, but the problem is selling all your equip.

you're bound to lose, so if you're ok, then go ahead.

if expectation of "better hi-ISO performance of D90 over 450D" is your primary concern, decision to switch camp may not be a 100% right choice IMHO..

i used 40D and now using D90. frankly, I am struggling with more noise with D90 in ISO 800-1600 range. (450D handles noise as more or less same as 40D..rite?)

there are many positive differences(for me personally) of D90 over 40D, however, I don't feel hi-ISO management of D90 is superior to 40D(or 450D in this case)..

why don't you try out with better(or more expensive at least) prime like 50 1.4 USM?

one more vote for NO if you're solely looking for much better Hi-ISO performance.

Yet another alternative just to mix things up: just buy a noise-reduction plugin software, and save yourself a lot of money and hassle of selling equipment.

But like a couple of others have pointed out: if the shift is just from a 450D to a D90, then I don't think it's worth it either.

if you really want good noise performance, d300 is the one not d90. however changing systems just because of noise performance is rather expensive. i'd rather get a new lens for that money than change camps.

asking this question will get you 2 answers...

canon people will tell you not to

nikon people will tell you to

its really up to you mate

Thks for all the suggestion... maybe a D300s might be a better choice.. problem is the higher $$$ ...

I just found that my fren is selling his D90... he got a D700 (envy me) .. maybe i will go test it out his D90 and buy off him... now hv to go chk out D90 used mkt price 1st..

again thks for all the inputs, read each and every one of it.. haha..

(btw no i don't dislike cannon.. hehehe)

i think TS should consider a flash unit... or Noise Ninja...

if die die must change body then i think D3 would be more proper for very high ISO...

i'm a Nikon user and i said no... some of my friend wanted to change to d90 because played with mine... but i said no as well... you'll lose a lot of money selling body and lenses with discounts...

1. Noise Ninja.
2. 50mm 1.4 USM
3. D90 c/w 50mm

Trial #1 then borrow/rent #2 and try. Then borrow/rent #3, then your choice... IMHO save some $$$.

Contrary to most replies, I feel that if at the back of your mind, you already feel that the D90 is more suited to your needs than the 450D, then I'd say go for it. Cause its a matter of time...

I think you had already make up your mind, and tempted to jump ship.

You're just seeking info to support your decision.

Go with your heart!

I am a Canon user for the past 10+ years. I am still thinking of switching to Nikon since the D300 surface.

If my finance allows, I would love to own both systems.

No.. I definitely not those ppl that "go with my heart" ... i balance needs and $$$ ..

but I do have hv the opportunity to really use the D90 (playing with it for few hrs can't really tell much) ... thats why I wanted to seek opinion of those with a D90 and experience from a lower range ones like 450D/D60..

from what i read... I think with $700 over (money that i would need to topup for a used D90) , I better off using that money to get flash, or maybe a F1.4 lens (but sometimes i dont really want DOF if a F1.4) ...

if i get the chance, i try to do a test with the D90 in dim light and see how it goes...

Thks again for ur input.. its been very healpful :)

this is a question no one can answer except you,

and canon users will say NO cos the 450D is also a good camera.

nikon users will say YES because the D90 is a good camera too!'

from a neutral point of view, i think the D90 will fit you better,

since you need the high ISO, but the problem is selling all your equip.

you're bound to lose, so if you're ok, then go ahead.

Haha yea, people are biased.
So if you ask people here, hardly they will give you neutral answers.
Lomographer is an exception. XD
If I were you I will just stick to a system/brand that you first using.
If not switching over to others are quite $$$ and you may lose the money.
Except you are sure you can make a profit or at least won't lose. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.