Shld I get MK2 with 24-105mm kit or ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

spydertrader

Jan 19, 2009
Can someone suggest if I shld get the 24-105 lens kit bundle or separate lenses (and what lenses wld be good). I am almost there in buying, but don't want to commit with the "wrong" lens.

Thks !!! :)

Get the 24-70 f2.8 - if you can. The kit lens is ok (I have both) - but the huge numbers of pixels is putting all lenses to the test. Last priority is the 16-35; it's Canon's poorest L lens; very soft edges

ask yourself if u need the range from 24-105mm. then ask yourself if u need constant f4 or L Lens.
then u have the anwser =)

Can someone suggest if I shld get the 24-105 lens kit bundle or separate lenses (and what lenses wld be good). I am almost there in buying, but don't want to commit with the "wrong" lens.

Thks !!! :)

Ask yourself. If you have no idea what to buy, is it a time to buy anything at all?

Get the 24-70 f2.8 - if you can. The kit lens is ok (I have both) - but the huge numbers of pixels is putting all lenses to the test. Last priority is the 16-35; it's Canon's poorest L lens; very soft edges

Sharpness should not be the only factor to consider for purchasing a lens.

If you dont have any outstanding zooms to go with the 5D Mark II then it'll be wise to go for the kit because you save a few hundred dollars if you're buying the 24-105/4L by itself and its a great travel lens too thanks to the range.

The 24-105 f4L IS has really really served me well on my 40D. Now, I'm seriously considering upgrading to such a 5D MK2 + 24-105 setup.

Anyway, you may want to have a look at pictures taken using this combo by visiting this thread in DPreview.

:Later,

No offense but is this true that 16-35L mk2 not gd?i don't have this but a friend of mine is thinking of getting this w 5D2 for wedding shoot. If this is not gd then 1740L is better?any better recommended L for wide angle or a prime?

I have heard and seen some quality shot of 5D2 with nikon 14-24 f2.8. But i'm not familiar with how to do this and its limitation other than can't AF.can someone advise abt this?

thanks.

Alot of wedding photographers use the 16-35L for their shoot. I personally use the Sigma 12-24 because I like it WIDE! The edge softness isn't really a problem because normal clients don't really notice that + we can always crop + unnoticeable when printed in 4R or in ablums.

TS, the 24-105 is a great lens to get. It's light and the focal length is just great. IS is a bonus too. Having said that, if you dun like it, you can always sell it without incurring much loses.

5DMKii + sigma 12-24
3193872145_2f760deeb6.jpg

TS, go for it!
i wanted to buy but did not as i already have lens covering that range
a bit regret as the 24-105 is a great walkaround lens esp if you travel overseas

Alot of wedding photographers use the 16-35L for their shoot. I personally use the Sigma 12-24 because I like it WIDE! The edge softness isn't really a problem because normal clients don't really notice that + we can always crop + unnoticeable when printed in 4R or in ablums.

TS, the 24-105 is a great lens to get. It's light and the focal length is just great. IS is a bonus too. Having said that, if you dun like it, you can always sell it without incurring much loses.

5DMKii + sigma 12-24
3193872145_2f760deeb6.jpg

Very nice work bro.

And it's very true that the 24-105, like most Ls, will hold their value even in the second-hand market.

Last edited:
The 24-105 is an excellent walk-around when coupled with the 5D2.

if i carry one lens with my full frame camera, it'll be 24-105.

It has good IQ, albeit not as sharp as prime L lenses, it has IS that works great, and its range on a full frame is very versatile.

By the way someone trashed 16-35 based on sharpness alone. Sharpness isn't the only thing about a lens. That's why people still pay twice as much as 17-40 to buy 16-35.

Sharpness should not be the only factor to consider for purchasing a lens.

Second that. There are variations in lenses too and not all 16-35mlII are soft.

Here's an example:

16mm.jpg

100% crop left bottom corner
1x.jpg

Food for thought: Why is the 5DMkII was partnered with the 24-105L ?

My guess:

- longer zoom range for full size sensor (catering to most of the crowd whio would be cropped-sensor upgraders)
- IS in the lens to allows shooting better handheld HD videos when needed.

It has good IQ, albeit not as sharp as prime L lenses, it has IS that works great, and its range on a full frame is very versatile.

bro,

virtually no zoom lenses are as sharp as L primes...

bro,

virtually no zoom lenses are as sharp as L primes...

that's what I meant too, especially in the light of the comment that 16-35 "wasn't sharp".

Food for thought: Why is the 5DMkII was partnered with the 24-105L ?

My guess:

- IS in the lens to allows shooting better handheld HD videos when needed.

24-105 was already the kit lens for 5D mk 1.

Hopefully.

All the Mk2s I've seen are scary sharp stopped down a little, and generally very decent wide open. Flare control is CRAZY good - so good that it bested similar FL Olympus and Leitz primes.

Status
Not open for further replies.