Shiriro Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

May 30, 2002
Eastend
Visit site
Fed up with Shiriro. Sent in a good lens for regular servicing and end up with grease stains on one of the element. Now must send back to have it cleaned up again. Another trip, another lunch hour gone, another lunch skipped. Then there is one more trip back to pick up the lens again. Urgh..................... “ANGRY”

Another friend (Jeff, are you reading this?) sent in a camera body, came back with blobs of grease on camera back that he needed to clean off himself.

If Shiriro as the main Nikon agent cannot be trusted to do a good job, how?? Anybody with similar blot jobs from Shiriro?

Just want to vent my frustration............. anyway, thanks for reading this.

Originally posted by Yoda
Fed up with Shiriro. Sent in a good lens for regular servicing and end up with grease stains on one of the element. Now must send back to have it cleaned up again. Another trip, another lunch hour gone, another lunch skipped. Then there is one more trip back to pick up the lens again. Urgh..................... “ANGRY”

Another friend (Jeff, are you reading this?) sent in a camera body, came back with blobs of grease on camera back that he needed to clean off himself.

If Shiriro as the main Nikon agent cannot be trusted to do a good job, how?? Anybody with similar blot jobs from Shiriro?

Just want to vent my frustration............. anyway, thanks for reading this.

I have not sent a lens there for cleaning before, but when I sent in my FE for general service a year back, it was quite okay. As was the Coolpix 950 I sent in to replace the broken battery holder. But I did hear of similar stories when people sent in their lenses. :(

Regards
CK

Just to give a balanced reply - I have had very good service from the Nikon service centre (formerly Shriro, but Nikon took over operations sometime last year, but still employ the Shriro people).

Experience #1
Took in an old 105f/1.8 AIS lens for cleaning due to fungus infection (real bad). Took about a week to get it back, but everything was like new.

Experience #2
My Nikon D1x had the dreaded "Jap Menu Reset" problem which needed a firmware update - this was done while I waited. Took about 30 minutes.

Experience #3
Again with the D1x. This time the DOF preview button FELL OFF :eek: during one of the photoshoots. Took it in and was told that this is the FIRST TIME EVER they had seen this happen. Anyway, after some hemmming and hawing, told me that they needed to get spare parts from Japan and cannot give me a timeframe (most likely 2-3 months :eek: ;( ). I told them "Not acceptable, I need DOF preview to work" (but in a nice way) and pointed out that the parts were very similiar to F5 and F100 and nicely asked if that would work. The engineer went back in to consult with his manager, and then came out and said "Come back and collect in 2 days time." And 2 days later, I got back a complete camera.

Happy as a lark in spring with a beakful of twigs!

Well, all camera repair services have their nightmares. Believe me, the multiple joys I'm having with NPS UK make your problems look like NOTHING. But as I said, the same situation happens whichever brand you end up with.

Originally posted by Darren
Just to give a balanced reply - I have had very good service from the Nikon service centre (formerly Shriro, but Nikon took over operations sometime last year, but still employ the Shriro people).

Experience #1
Took in an old 105f/1.8 AIS lens for cleaning due to fungus infection (real bad). Took about a week to get it back, but everything was like new.

Experience #2
My Nikon D1x had the dreaded "Jap Menu Reset" problem which needed a firmware update - this was done while I waited. Took about 30 minutes.

Experience #3
Again with the D1x. This time the DOF preview button FELL OFF :eek: during one of the photoshoots. Took it in and was told that this is the FIRST TIME EVER they had seen this happen. Anyway, after some hemmming and hawing, told me that they needed to get spare parts from Japan and cannot give me a timeframe (most likely 2-3 months :eek: ;( ). I told them "Not acceptable, I need DOF preview to work" (but in a nice way) and pointed out that the parts were very similiar to F5 and F100 and nicely asked if that would work. The engineer went back in to consult with his manager, and then came out and said "Come back and collect in 2 days time." And 2 days later, I got back a complete camera.

Happy as a lark in spring with a beakful of twigs!

Now that you reminded me, I do have a good experience with them. My department's CP990 battery cover broke due to wear and tear (why do these things have to be so fragile?). Went over to Nikon Singapore - they wanted to keep it, give me an estimate, etc which takes about 10 days. I told them, "possible to get it back today?". They said "come back after lunch, all our technicians are out". I came back, they took the camera in, checked and told me it will cost $38 and 10 minutes. I agreed to it and did indeed get it back in 10 minutes. Looking at the service form, express service is supposed to cost me a surcharge, but they did not charge me. :thumbsup:

Regards
CK

sounds like they can't service lenses very well since most of the good experiences seem to be non-lens-related. hmmm now i have second thoughts about sending my lens in for servicing... :confused:

Another point to add for NIKON service centre. They did some modification for you without consulting you. Though whether they charge you or not is not made known. I sent in a F3 HP. The DE3 was lined with rubber by NIKON without telling me. Boy....the glueing was badly done. I would think that I'm better off without the rubber lining at the high point pentaprism Based on what I know, the rubber lining only comes on the F3P series pentaprism. Maybe they want to upgrade all the camera that is brought in to be align with the F3P. But...for heaven's sake, do it properly lah....

Also, another fren also send in his F70 to change the sponge (light seal) at the camera back. The technician came out and said they don't do such service. It's either the same sponge or nothing. to what I know, the sponge deteriorate quite fast in ourtropical weather and if not careful get stuck in your shutter screen,...then get ready to spend some money for repair.....

for the records, i recommend that u do your camera testing within the week after you get your camera body or lenses etc back, from them.

in this way, if u got any faults that pop out that are due to them , u could bring it back to them ASAP

well, i learnt this the hard way too, i went t service my lens, nikon 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 , and i didn't touch the camera lens till sometime later, more than a month, i then realised my focusing function for the lens is out.

and later, when i brought it to a camera shop, they SHOWED me that i had got a screw missing!

lesson learned: test your equipment after u send it for repair/service.

Status
Not open for further replies.