Shenton Way

allenleonhart

Sep 17, 2008
5531950954_edf149136c_z.jpg

i noticed this view of shenton is slightly less common, the view more often used than not would be at the esplanade one i realised. so i opted for a view where all buildings looked approximately equal in height and tried to cut the image in a way it looked clean.

but i realised in return, image looks pretty empty
shot handheld, 2 photos stitched. yes i could had used long exposure, but that would mean i cant stitch due to cloud movement
neither do i own a ultra wide. so i'm working within my means

cnc pls

This composition does make the CBD look more orderly than it actually is.

This is an IR photo? Or digitally processed as IR. Noticed your trees are not of the usual colour and blacks are darker for a reason. Do some dodging to lift the buildings, they look really dull and lifeless.

And maybe the decision to shoot/process it in IR should be carefully thought through, what advantages did IR provide you here that normal b&w or colour would not?

This composition does make the CBD look more orderly than it actually is.

This is an IR photo? Or digitally processed as IR. Noticed your trees are not of the usual colour and blacks are darker for a reason. Do some dodging to lift the buildings, they look really dull and lifeless.

And maybe the decision to shoot/process it in IR should be carefully thought through, what advantages did IR provide you here that normal b&w or colour would not?

the advantages of IR (r72) that i chose was that it can cut through haze, cloudy environments to give a very nice contrast which color would not have gotten me. it aids to bring out the strong lines of the CBD. i think during processing i made the image darker to prevent clouds from being blown. perhaps i could try bringing up the brightness for the buildings and then blend with the current sky for the effect. will post the result when i'm done

thanks for the comments!

honestly speaking, I like your previous CBD photo posted in the critique sub-forum a lot more than this one. The tone; shadow, midtone and highlight, imho is as good as it can get. Leaving nothing for me to critique the last one. :)

In this photo, the sky and the water in fact look quite good and interesting. However, the balance of midtones, highlights and shadows of the buildings are not there. Generally, too much shadows and not enough of the details are there. Of course, this all depend on how you like to present your photo but personally, I like details and a good balance of these 3 things. I won't comment on how it should be done to balance the exposure on the building and the sky. Not that good at pp.

composition wise; the Marina Bay Financial Centre (MBFC) looks just a tad sticking out and that little bit disjoint with the rest of the CBD. I have seen what others have done with a similar composition and location. MBFC doesn't look it is on its own seperated from the rest of the CBD even though a similar gap like in your photo here is there too.

honestly speaking, I like your previous CBD photo posted in the critique sub-forum a lot more than this one. The tone; shadow, midtone and highlight, imho is as good as it can get. Leaving nothing for me to critique the last one. :)

In this photo, the sky and the water in fact look quite good and interesting. However, the balance of midtones, highlights and shadows of the buildings are not there. Generally, too much shadows and not enough of the details are there. Of course, this all depend on how you like to present your photo but personally, I like details and a good balance of these 3 things. I won't comment on how it should be done to balance the exposure on the building and the sky. Not that good at pp.

composition wise; the Marina Bay Financial Centre (MBFC) looks just a tad sticking out and that little bit disjoint with the rest of the CBD. I have seen what others have done with a similar composition and location. MBFC doesn't look it is on its own seperated from the rest of the CBD even though a similar gap like in your photo here is there too.

did ya mean this one?

5259776217_0937684ea1.jpg

i'll re-edit the first shot of this thread a little. i think it looks a bit muted and less contrasty now that i'm looking back a few weeks from when the shot has been taken:)

Last edited:
Hi,

The sharpness of the building edges really jump out at me. I guess this is the reason why so many people do long exposure shots of the CBD, so that the cloud/water movement contrasts against the sharp outlines? I agree with your point that the picture looks empty as the balance seems off due to the spaces between the CBD and the newer buildings at the Marina South area.

Would a tighter crop of the left to just about near to the building work better?

did ya mean this one?

5259776217_0937684ea1.jpg

i'll re-edit the first shot of this thread a little. i think it looks a bit muted and less contrasty now that i'm looking back a few weeks from when the shot has been taken:)

yes this one! fav!:heart:
even though this shot is kinda tight, but it is still overall just right.
There are some of the buildings in the dark shadows with little details but the highlights on the buildings really make this photo pop up and aided with some nice mid tones. From this angle, you can see all the buildings are nicely "arranged" with a general shape that looks nice and coherent.

5531950954_edf149136c.jpg

before

5672738264_cbb44ce11f.jpg

after

as I mentioned before, this will depend on how you like to present it. Personally, my preference will go for your "after" photo as I like to see details.

since, the water front of MBS has now been properly fully open, and there are many photos likely already been shot from there at the shenton way. I would suggest looking at as many similar photos as possible to find which are the ones "work" (in composition) and which don't and compare to yours.