Shd newbie get DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usherer

Feb 20, 2004
members.lycos.co.uk
Hi
Been in this dilemma for quite awhile.
Am really strapped for cash but wanna practise and improve myself. I hv a point n shoot digicam (1.3megapixel!!) which has worked fine so far..

Now, i want to move on. As mentioned, am poor n struggling.I'm thinking of DSLR to save costs on film n developing (never mind the apparent irony).

Should I continue to wait (and wait..)?
Or should I knock on doors of potential sponsors.ha.

DSLR is good if you know what you're doing, think you know what you're doing, don't know what you're doing but think you know what you're doing, trying to find out what you're doing, and trying to know what you're doing.

for me
i'm trying to find out a lot of things

but you can get a dSLR
nobody's stopping you if you're gonna shoot a lot
if you're gonna shoot enough
if you find that you're limited by your PnS (where focusing is just darn slow)
go ahead
get a dSLR
you can always sell it later
it'll be a $300-$500 lesson if you sell it
but it'll be a nice lesson
it'll be a $2k plus lesson if you keep it
and the lesson can go on for quite a while.

just keep shooting.

Just a word of caution, do assess your likings and the areas of photography you'd like to go further in, landscape, wildlife, street, portraits, photojournalism, etc etc.

As you move on to SLR, a large part of the hard earned cash you hold will be split on glasses, so it's very important to decided carefully which area you would love to go into, as the glasses you buy will be dedicated to your needs. It's not just about faster focusing but many other new stuff that you'll find different from PnS.

There's nothing wrong with getting a DSLR if you feel it suits your needs to help you in advancement, it's afterall a SLR body with technological improvements and PCBs instead of film back.

Of course, do jump in only if you really want to spare with the money, a simple setup + 1-2 glasses + torchlight and storage can easily set you back $3K-$5K.

Spend & choose your glasses wisely. :) Otherwise be prepared to be a frequent visitor for Buy/Sell.

usherer said:
Hi
Am really strapped for cash but wanna practise and improve myself. I hv a point n shoot digicam (1.3megapixel!!) which has worked fine so far..

Now, i want to move on. As mentioned, am poor n struggling.I'm thinking of DSLR to save costs on film n developing (never mind the apparent irony).

got money, buy. no money, save up then buy.

i think this is the best advice i can give you.

What can't you do with your 'point and shoot' that you think you will be able to do with a DSLR? Suggest keep 'Point and shoot', supplement with 'Stop and Think' ($0.00). Having said that I'd go for the DSLR and mortgage the wife and kids (That's hypocrisy for you!!!) :devil:

yes

but if you shoot enough per week

like say 300 odd per week

which is entirely possible

you can eventually make up for all the film development costs
and that's where the dSLR proves worthwhile.

but here's my take
i own a dSLR
i just bought an SLR yesterday.

it's time to be less snap-happy

What is wrong with shooting film? It is a relatively cheap option and force you to think very hard on what you intend to capture. get a second hand body but invest in good lens. Lens is more important than the body.

if u do B&W, you can process the negatives urself and just get a scanner.

get a DSLR so long as your resources are not stretched, it is not the only way to earn... it is a very nice to have but there are many good photographers who never touch digital in their lifetime.

you can get a good 2nd hand prosumer digicam for <$500, with enough megapixels and manual overrides for plenty of learning and good quality photos.

points taken.

1. Why insist on digital-coz no $$ to develop or buy film (it'll be more ex in the long run for experimentation)

2. Buy those with manual functions then consider DSLR again- possible. On the other hand, wont it cost more if i buy this and then another better cam?

3. mortgage the wife n kids- no wife, no kids.besides, i'm not a guy.Guess my aging parents will do.

usherer said:
points taken.

1. Why insist on digital-coz no $$ to develop or buy film (it'll be more ex in the long run for experimentation)

u just need to develop negatives and scan in the pictures... if its film you are forced to think carefully before you shoot... its not how many thousand or million photos that make you a good photo. Its a good consistent body of works that demonstrate your own personality. You claim you are strapped for cash then how can buying a DSLR be a good option at all? In the long run, the savings will bare out? In the long run you will probably bemoan not having the chance to upgrade to the newer models and don forget the investment on lenses.

2. Buy those with manual functions then consider DSLR again- possible. On the other hand, wont it cost more if i buy this and then another better cam?
DSLR is ever evolving (as any digital format) so once you step onto this path you are more inclinced to upgrade. Film you wont face the problem. YOu will be more keen to experiment with different films techniques etc etc. Don forget when you use digital you have to do post processing yourself, i.e, photoshop and it is not an easy software to master and requires long hours of commitment.

It seems very likely that you are fixtated on getting a DSLR and wans us to provide moral support. Its your money... go for it then.

usherer said:

no it won't... if you buy a digicam 2nd hand, the depreciation in price will be much less than if you had bought it brand new. it's less of a capital outlay for photographic experimentation, and when you are ready for the "better cam", your finances will be in better shape and you can also decide whether you want to be "really" serious about photography.

usherer said:
points taken.

:)

u wanna save cozt on film n iz strapped for cazh az u have mentioned in ur 1zt pozt, but dont forget u still need to fork out $$ for lenzez, CF cardz, batteriez blah blah blah ......

:D

ok, thanks for ur advice.will go chew on it.

if anyone's willing to sponsor developing films, i'll take up the SLR right away ;)

usherer said:
ok, thanks for ur advice.will go chew on it.

if anyone's willing to sponsor developing films, i'll take up the SLR right away ;)

just out of curiosity... how many rolls are you intending to shoot every week?

pls remember that buying a DSLR does not mean you will be successful and a better photographer... there are more than ample examples in the forum to illustrate this... above all... there are still issues like white balance and color management to worry about.

i don't have very much experience in photography but i hope you don't mind me sharing them with you.

i started with a simple 1.3mp digital camera as well. very soon i felt that wasn't enough and purchased a better digital camera, 3.2mp but even then it wasn't enough. on the spur of the moment, i purchased a second-hand slr (nikon fm10) and a 50mm lens and apparently it was the best mistake i've ever made.

it was very frustrating at first. on my first roll i had only a couple of shots in focus. it was very discouraging but with a little more practice i got better. the motivation to take better pictures is very strong when you've only got one try at it. getting it right the first time everytime will make you better in a much shorter time. i feel i've improved leaps and bounds once i started using film.

if you find yourself stagnating, try reading up. there are a lot of good books at the library.

as for your concern of shooting a lot, most of the cost of film photography is probably in the printing. developing is only 3.50 a roll. get a negatives/slide scanner. a non-dedicated one isn't very expensive. the good thing about getting a manual slr body is that your lenses can probably work with a dslr when you're ready to upgrade.

hope this helps.

usherer, you know there's no such thing as an usherer, but only an usher? :D

think slowly and deeply, then breathe deeply and take the plunge. whatever you start off with, "mistake" or not, you'll learn anyway. just now if you could project your budget on processing costs, or none via digital. :)

be warned - it's not the body that kills the wallet. it's the multitude of lenses that come in an avalanche that does! :D

usherer said:
Hi

Judging from the little that is written here, I think you probably should not.

You've said your P&S has worked fine so far isn't it? I think to be in need of cash and going into DSLR (or even buying any other camera) is an expensive move and probably an unwise way to spend your money.

You should wait till you have more $$ (either saved up or somehow get it from somewhere) and are comfortable.

usherer, all great advices from ppl here.

do your maths, what is your budget? if you have less than 3k to plonk out i safely say you cannot afford a DSLR yet. FOXX & sehsuan mention all the extras$$$$$$

filmSLRs are equally great, the learning curve is very different from DSLR, but in principal, its the same. Sebastain & gohfigure mention its merits!

2nd DCs are great too! Not much more to invest other than memory storage, a external flash if it supports and bang the shutter away.

haha! yes. i juz get a kick out of making people think there's such a thing as "usherer"

sehsuan said:
usherer, you know there's no such thing as an usherer, but only an usher? :D

think slowly and deeply, then breathe deeply and take the plunge. whatever you start off with, "mistake" or not, you'll learn anyway. just now if you could project your budget on processing costs, or none via digital. :)

be warned - it's not the body that kills the wallet. it's the multitude of lenses that come in an avalanche that does! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.