[shawn207] automotive photography

shawn207

Feb 18, 2009
Central
I have always been passionate about cars. Recently, i decided to get more serious, practice and improve my automotive photgraphy.

Here is my results so far. Nothing spectacular. But I hope its an improvement nonetheless.

Critiques and Comments are welcome and will be greatly appreciated!

Here goes!

5114041901_877e892cd6_z.jpg

1. One of my first ever shots, this was taken almost 2 years back on my humble ride.

5114657638_11d806c831_z.jpg

2. A friend's black '09 vios.

5107322245_bde0f7d40f_z.jpg

3. Something more recent. Mini Cooper S.

5107308721_152b3ee817_z.jpg

4. A different view of the Mini.

Some photos taken at the recent Singapore GP. I guess its considered a part of automotive photography too!

5029279187_3008cd1a2d_z.jpg

5. Lewis Hamilton on track. Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

5029868988_dac070243c_z.jpg

6. Robert Kubica. Renault F1 Team.

5029285273_c6723e71e3_z.jpg

7. Sebastian Vettel. Red Bull Racing Team.

5107328981_2fdc54147b_z.jpg

8. A friend's impossibly gorgeous Nissan Silvia.

5114049765_e77d3d355d_z.jpg

9. Another angle of the Silvia.

Hi there~~

Like your Mini picture but unfortunately the rest dont appeal to me. Because usually in automotive photography, it will appeal (at least to me) if they are exotic cars ie Lambo, Ferrari, Maserati etc.. Maybe a few audi or merc. But toyotas and hondas ... hmmm....

But i know its difficult to be able to shoot expensive cars unless you have a good portfolio. So... haha.

Good effort ..

But the fundamental of photography is missing .. must be your excitements over the car ;)

1) Background where the shot is taken is too cluster (shots 1,2 and 3)
2) The 8 and 9 has less cluster background .. but the side curb is cutting across the entire photo .. kind of distracting
3) #3 is alright .. as the viewer attention is drawn to the close up of the Mini .. but you might want to ps of the red spot on the left .. as it does bring attention to itself
4) For the F1 .. nice panning effort .. but the impact would be greater if the shot was time so that the car is parallel to you .. and also if you have a longer lens this would help to "erase off" the fence

Next shoot .. you might want to try a wide aperture so that the background is more bokeh and your car will stand out more .. or better still look for a cluster free are to shoot

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

All your cars seems to be either climbing up or rolling down slopes ! ...fencing in the F1 pics confirms you're not holding your camera level. :bsmilie:

thanks for all the advice. v constructive and helpful. :)

was trying to make the angles a bit unconventional, but guess it might not have worked out!

true, exotic cars really make the pictures stand out a lot more, but for now i trying to just make ordinary cars look good haha. no friends with exotics lol.

here are 2 more photos with perhaps more conventional angles.

5128516402_5e95e58e8e_z.jpg

10. Another angle of the Mini Cooper S.

5107939320_82d4775774_z.jpg

11. Mazda RX-8, Mazda MX-5 and Nissan Silvia.

Nope ! ...still the same, I feel like I'm standing on a slope looking at those cars.

You may be experimenting with angles, but the background ...ermm, feels 'unbalanced' to me. :think:

comments on 10.
you could have cropped closer on the car. car photography is about the details of the car, not the surroundings (although it does play a part sometimes)

comments on 11.
i see too much foreground ... which is ... err, nothing in the least interesting ... i like the cars though

i love cars myself, and i prefer low angles and those that flatter the car. i don't really care much if it's a ferrari or a myvi, as long as a point of interest is highlighted for the eyes. (ok, i lied, i do care if it's a ferrari)

cheers!

Last edited:
The photos seems a bit dark, was that intentional? HDR?

thanks for all the advice. v constructive and helpful. :)

was trying to make the angles a bit unconventional, but guess it might not have worked out!

true, exotic cars really make the pictures stand out a lot more, but for now i trying to just make ordinary cars look good haha. no friends with exotics lol.

here are 2 more photos with perhaps more conventional angles.

I beg to differ from those who said that you need to level your camera. Nothing wrong with tilting your cam. I love to tilt my camera all the time. :)
Lower angles work better though, like this one:

1290133979_reae.jpg

1272607417_smokin.jpg

Also, watch your composition. I can see your effort in using space, but in the end, the car still has to be the hero.

1290238515_tesla1024.jpg

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I beg to differ from those who said that you need to level your camera. Nothing wrong with tilting your cam. I love to tilt my camera all the time. :)
Lower angles work better though, like this one:

Also, watch your composition. I can see your effort in using space, but in the end, the car still has to be the hero.

Hope this helps...

hey, thanks for the feedback! i'm a regular follower of ur awesome website on FB haha, unfortunately, the cars which i have on hand to shoot for friends and family are all pretty ordinary :p

will work on the composition, angles and practice more!

I second this.. I think tilting camera is ok, we sometimes need to learn how to break the rules, right?
i think it will be super boring if all photos of cars, motorcycles or even airplanes are taken level.. but i think what intrigues me the most is #4.. It works for me, but somehow it doesn't at the same time.. it has the potential to give the oomph, but it lacks something i can't describe..

getting close and take the details of the car instead of the whole works sometimes.. like maybe you wanna try taking only the mini badge with some of the front grille? or make it in portrait?

details such as the side grill are also great..

just a few cents from me..

i think the minicooper interior will be more interesting to shoot ard... =P

I second this.. I think tilting camera is ok, we sometimes need to learn how to break the rules, right?
i think it will be super boring if all photos of cars, motorcycles or even airplanes are taken level.. but i think what intrigues me the most is #4.. It works for me, but somehow it doesn't at the same time.. it has the potential to give the oomph, but it lacks something i can't describe..

getting close and take the details of the car instead of the whole works sometimes.. like maybe you wanna try taking only the mini badge with some of the front grille? or make it in portrait?

details such as the side grill are also great..

just a few cents from me..

i think the minicooper interior will be more interesting to shoot ard... =P

bayusuputra: i think the problem with no. 4 is the background? i think it might be a bit distracting? :\

sagiluck: agreed that the mini interior is nice with the central speedometer, but i kind of overlooked the interior the time i shot my friend's car! :) next time perhaps!

been pretty busy with exams so havent had the time to shoot! anw, nonetheless managed to find some time to attend the bmw world exhibition so here are some shots!

5204432694_1f08349c33_z.jpg

12. BMW M3 GTS.

5204424194_796da5c74a_z.jpg

13. BMW Z8.

5203842189_d18fc30d2b_z.jpg

14. BMW M3.

I like #8 and #9!

Are those Volks TE37?

Matt

hey thanks :)

yep they are!

anyway, nice shots in your skyline thread. went to australia and loved the number of R32/33/34s rolling around. pity some of them i see are stock and are not very well maintained.

hope to see more of your shots from overseas. pity i dont have a lot of contacts with nice cars though. gonna shoot my friend's mazda 2 sometime this week though!