Sharpness

Status
Not open for further replies.

NormanTan

Jul 24, 2008
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi CSer..

i jus wanna ask u guy what is than call sharp to u??i jus don understand what does sharp means to u guys>.< oso what do ppl means when they say zoom in to check for sharpness?what do they look out for?? how to know weather its sharp or not??Pls help me>.<Don scold me-.-.. thanks in advance^^

Regard,
NormanTan

Errr... Aside from the obvious "read a dictionary, look up the word sharp" the easiest answer would be when you can clearly see all the details of the subject without any blur.

use your camera,
mount any lens on it,
mount your camera on a tripod,
aim at a subject with fine details
focus and lock it
I'm sure you know how to get correct exposure
shoot at f8

load the image into computer
open any image viewer software
zoom in 100%
you can see the clear definition of the fine details

this is sharpness...

once you see what is sharp... anything unlike this is call NOT SHARP

use your camera,
mount any lens on it,
mount your camera on a tripod,
aim at a subject with fine details
focus and lock it
I'm sure you know how to get correct exposure
shoot at f8

load the image into computer
open any image viewer software
zoom in 100%
you can see the clear definition of the fine details

this is sharpness...

once you see what is sharp... anything unlike this is call NOT SHARP

Erm y shoot at f/8 eh?

it is so clear that you have not taken a sharp focus photo yet, that how you does not know how is a sharp focus photo looks like.

why don't just do a test and see it yourself like what I have suggested earlier?

it is so clear that you have not taken a sharp focus photo yet, that how you does not know how is a sharp focus photo looks like.

why don't just do a test and see it yourself like what I have suggested earlier?

DSC_1805.jpg

DSC_1805-1.jpg
this is crop from the above picture..i zoom this picture to 100% and crop it..is that the right way to crop it?? and is it sharp??

i took it at f8..using a 85mm f1.8

Last edited:
sorry... but after looking at the kenrockwell.com webby, i still can't see the different=.= OMG!!

u surprised me. i tot the one at the F2 was pretty obvious already. Are u sure u can't see a diff? Are u looking at the picture i told u? If u really can't see a diff and was seeing the correct one, perhaps its a blessing in disguise for u.

Why don't u try performing the same test u did for ur 85mm f1.8 on ur 70-210mm f4-5.6. Rem, same focal length, same fstop, iso, etc. Everything constant except for lens. Try several f-stops and compare the 2 (e.g. 4.5, 5.6, 8). Perhaps the best way to let u see what is sharp and not sharp is to let u compare pictures. By right (no gurantee thou), ur 85 F1.8 should be sharper.

y did u feel that the 85mm is better?

most lenses performs well ("sharp") at ard F8.

DSC_1805.jpg

DSC_1805-1.jpg
this is crop from the above picture..i zoom this picture to 100% and crop it..is that the right way to crop it?? and is it sharp??

i took it at f8..using a 85mm f1.8

I think your 85mm 1/1.8 got alignment / focusing issue. This lens should be much sharper than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.