Sharpness

Status
Not open for further replies.
aim at a subject with fine details

of all things why you shoot a soft drink can? can you shoot some items with texture instead?

now is the print (text) on the drink can smudged? or your lens have a focusing issue?

Shoot newspaper. Use Av mode. Shoot in f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/8 and compare.

70-210mm:
new70-210.jpg

85mm:
new85.jpg

70-210mm(crop from the top picture):
70-210crop.jpg

85mm(Crop from the top picture):
85crop.jpg

does the 85mm still have any focusing issue?? or any thing of that sort??

The first one is not set correctly at 85mm. Either way-- you want us to determine sharpness from a small 500x500 ish picture on the internet?

Here's how you determine if your 85mm is correct. Shoot the same subject with the same conditions but with different copies of the 85mm lens. If some other 85mm lens did better, then your copy is "not as sharp".

Last edited:
The first one is not set correctly at 85mm. Either way-- you want us to determine sharpness from a small 500x500 ish picture on the internet?

Here's how you determine if your 85mm is correct. Shoot the same subject with the same conditions but with different copies of the 85mm lens. If some other 85mm lens did better, then your copy is "not as sharp".

Just to add on. It would be better to use full manual exposure instead of Av. In the case of your two photos, the first one is taken with 1/5s while the second is taken with 1/10s exposure. And for crops, you should take the crop from the full sized jpeg photo from your cam. Use the max quaility settings for your Jpeg images.

Just to add on. It would be better to use full manual exposure instead of Av. In the case of your two photos, the first one is taken with 1/5s while the second is taken with 1/10s exposure. And for crops, you should take the crop from the full sized jpeg photo from your cam. Use the max quaility settings for your Jpeg images.

erm how do i take the crop from the full size jepg photo eh??

erm how do i take the crop from the full size jepg photo eh??

Same as how you crop the photos above wat...:)

Anyway, open the pic from your CF card using a photo editing software. Use the crop tool to crop the section of the pic that you want. Then save the cropped image and post here.

But frankly from the two cropped images you posted, I think that your lens is pretty ok in terms of sharpness.

Same as how you crop the photos above wat...:)

Anyway, open the pic from your CF card using a photo editing software. Use the crop tool to crop the section of the pic that you want. Then save the cropped image and post here.

But frankly from the two cropped images you posted, I think that your lens is pretty ok in terms of sharpness.

below are the newly crop pictures... i used your mehod and crop...is it better?

70-210(Crop)
new70-210crop.jpg

85mm(Crop)
new85crop.jpg

below are the newly crop pictures... i used your mehod and crop...is it better?

70-210(Crop)
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/NormanTanTJ/new70-210crop.jpg

85mm(Crop)
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/NormanTanTJ/new85crop.jpg

Did you use a tripod when taking these two pics? Because wat I see from the exif data is that both are taken at 85mm so I would assume that you are taking them from different distances.

Basically if you only have 1 lens and you want to see if it is sharp wide open or whether it will be sharper when stopped down, then you should take at widest aperture at 85mm and then step down to f8 and then to f22. Using a tripod will erradicate hand shake which I believe is already happening here since you are taking at 1/5 and 1/10s.

Did you use a tripod when taking these two pics? Because wat I see from the exif data is that both are taken at 85mm so I would assume that you are taking them from different distances.

Basically if you only have 1 lens and you want to see if it is sharp wide open or whether it will be sharper when stopped down, then you should take at widest aperture at 85mm and then step down to f8 and then to f22. Using a tripod will erradicate hand shake which I believe is already happening here since you are taking at 1/5 and 1/10s.

erm... i took them from the same distance wor..:bigeyes: i merely jus change the lens..

I oso set it to mirror up b4 i took the picture... mirror up would oso help to reduce shake rite??+ i oso use a self-timer..

erm... i took them from the same distance wor..:bigeyes: i merely jus change the lens..

I oso set it to mirror up b4 i took the picture... mirror up would oso help to reduce shake rite??+ i oso use a self-timer..

If you are taking from the same distance, then how come the two 100% crops from your camera are of different size???? I'm assuming you are using the same lens ie. both are 70-210mm? Different lenses may have different magnification factors which will affect the size of the image.

Edit: I think I know what your problem is. You are checking the sharpness of your 70-210mm against your Prime 85f1.8. Sorry to disappoint you but you can't confirm whether your lens is sharp or not this way. The reason for this simply is that any zoom lens when compared against a prime lens will lose out in terms of sharpness.

Last edited:
If you are taking from the same distance, then how come the two 100% crops from your camera are of different size???? I'm assuming you are using the same lens ie. both are 70-200mm? Different lenses may have different magnification factors which will affect the size of the image.

arh-.- i took using 2 diff lens wor... but the prob now is i can differentiate the diff between sharp and soft-.- when ppl show it to me, i can't tell them diff between which is soft and which is sharp...Smth wrong with my eyes-.-

arh-.- i took using 2 diff lens wor... but the prob now is i can differentiate the diff between sharp and soft-.- when ppl show it to me, i can't tell them diff between which is soft and which is sharp...Smth wrong with my eyes-.-

What you said is very confusing and I'm not sure I understand what you mean. :dunno:

From the KRW link provided by photophilic:

DSC_9741-af-020.jpg

DSC_9750-ai-020.jpg

Do you see the two pictures? Can you see the difference in detail, in edge sharpness? Can you see how in one, the leaves are blurred, in the other one, you can see the leaves?

If you can't, then sell your DSLR, buy a cheap PnS, you'll never tell the difference!

Last edited:
From the KRW link provided by photophilic:

DSC_9741-af-020.jpg

DSC_9750-ai-020.jpg

Do you see the two pictures? Can you see the difference in detail, in edge sharpness? Can you see how in one, the leaves are blurred, in the other one, you can see the leaves?

If you can't, then sell your DSLR, buy a cheap PnS, you'll never tell the difference!

LOL... don say that:nono:every 1 is learning... i am oso trying to learn here... some ppl take faster time to learn while some take a slower time to learn...u can't blame me for not able to absorb fast..:cry:

anw, i do notice the slight diff already... so how many times do i have to zoom in using my D300 correctly check for sharpness?? the zoom button press how many times??

anw, i do notice the slight diff already... so how many times do i have to zoom in using my D300 correctly check for sharpness?? the zoom button press how many times??

Should be one time. At that point it should already be at 100%. At least, that's how it is on the sony cams.

Actually for sharpness you will rarely be able to get a zoom lens that is extremely sharp. You will need to do post processing in photoshop or other photo editing software in order to sharpen the photo.

Actually for sharpness you will rarely be able to get a zoom lens that is extremely sharp. You will need to do post processing in photoshop or other photo editing software in order to sharpen the photo.

Agree. Prime lens will give better optical sharpness than zoom lenses. :)

70-210mm:
new70-210.jpg

85mm:
new85.jpg

does the 85mm still have any focusing issue?? or any thing of that sort??

You mean the top photo was taken at 85mm also? Can anyone explain how come the top looks closer?

You mean the top photo was taken at 85mm also? Can anyone explain how come the top looks closer?

That's because he used his 85f1.8 prime lens which has a magnification ratio of 0.11x to take one of the photos and the other photo was taken with his 70-210mm lens at 85mm focal length which has a differnent magnification factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.