sharpness

d2xpeter

Deregistered
Dec 6, 2012
singapore
DSC_1165.JPG

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
is the sharpness acceptable at such focal length?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
to assess sharpness

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/320 sec
Aperture: 6.3
Focal Length: 300mm
Flash Used: No
Tamron28-300 XR LD f3.5-6.3, 2x crop in D2X
handheld

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
sharpness could be improved by increasing shutter speed to reduce hand-shake blur

DSC_1165.JPG

to assess sharpness

handheld

sharpness could be improved by increasing shutter speed to reduce hand-shake blur
image looks out of focus, rather than hand shake blur.

@ 300mm, I normally try to keep shutter at 1/500-1/800 especially when subject is on the move. Not sure how confident you are with the ISO performance of your camera, but I will bump it up to 640 or 800 ISO and use manual exposure to track such subjects. 300mm f6.3 @ ISO 200 is a bit too challenging to get good handheld shots, not that it can't be done, but maybe can explore better options. In addition like what the previous bro said, the focus was not locked in on the subject.

My 2 cents :)

Shouldn't this snapshot be rather in any tech talk thread?

the gesture of the man said it all.

I think the guy was saying "Hey what the hell man, why are you taking a picture of us without our permission?" Did you ask them whether you can publish their picture here or anywhere?

I think the guy was saying "Hey what the hell man, why are you taking a picture of us without our permission?" Did you ask them whether you can publish their picture here or anywhere?
sg doesn't require that. you can feel free to do so as long as image is taken in public space.

@ 300mm, I normally try to keep shutter at 1/500-1/800 especially when subject is on the move. Not sure how confident you are with the ISO performance of your camera, but I will bump it up to 640 or 800 ISO and use manual exposure to track such subjects. 300mm f6.3 @ ISO 200 is a bit too challenging to get good handheld shots, not that it can't be done, but maybe can explore better options. In addition like what the previous bro said, the focus was not locked in on the subject.

My 2 cents :)

agree with you, bro. 1/500 would be more comfortable. thkq for the advice
btw, dont quite understand what you mean by "using manual exposure to track"

Last edited:

the smile on the lady's face seems to say otherwise.:bsmilie:
They didn't seem to mind, we walked passed each other after the shot. Thanks to them

Last edited:
d2xpeter said:
agree with you, bro. 1/500 would be more comfortable. thkq for the advice
btw, dont quite understand what you mean by "using manual exposure to track"

If you notice, they are walking along the road with uneven lighting due to shadows from the trees. I will not wanna overexpose or underexpose the whole scene in this situation as the meter could go against me in Av mode. So i will wanna meter the surrounding and keep the settings fixed. Here's what I will do, e.g set shutter at 1/500, f7.1 or f8 (stop down a bit for sharpness) manually, and lock and press shutter when the ray of sunlight hit their face.

I know this is am impromptu shot, and you may say "where got time to do the metering" Trust me if you do it often enough, the settings will be at the tip of your hands and you can set it very fast.

I know this is am impromptu shot, and you may say "where got time to do the metering" Trust me if you do it often enough, the settings will be at the tip of your hands and you can set it very fast.

thkq bro for the advice. ya, think this is where the skill comes in. Esp you guys who are pro hv to be at your fingertips for situation like this eg wedding photography.

DSC_1165.JPG

to assess sharpness

handheld

the guy is like WTH MAN U STALKER..you focus on the girl right?.thats why his face so blurry.tsk tsk..anyway the image isnt sharp..i would bump up the ISO..increase aperture to about f10..and from this particular tamrom model its not exactly meant for sharpness

the guy is like WTH MAN U STALKER..you focus on the girl right?.thats why his face so blurry.tsk tsk..anyway the image isnt sharp..i would bump up the ISO..increase aperture to about f10..and from this particular tamrom model its not exactly meant for sharpness

LOL....thanks for advice.

actually i realized if you crop away the man, and leave the woman, you got a little sharper picture, less distraction, with some kind of eye candy too (not for me though)

actually i realized if you crop away the man, and leave the woman, you got a little sharper picture, less distraction, with some kind of eye candy too (not for me though)

agree