Sharpness testing with Canon 50MM 1.8.....a bit weirb i think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe at the same time can use the back-focus test chart method. I tested mine and result was good.

Cant remember wher the tread was. do a search for it.

You can download the focus test chart here. It's for D70, but can also be used for other camera.

http://www.focustestchart.com/chart.html

DeSwitch said:
maybe at the same time can use the back-focus test chart method. I tested mine and result was good.

Cant remember wher the tread was. do a search for it.

i did a test on my 50mm recently. can do a search. and i recently shot my friends bday party with just the 50mm prime alone. my verdict - it can be really really sharp at f/5.6. usable at 1.8. very nice at 2.8. wonderful at 5.6 :)

What is your shuttle speed? Should be quite slow as it looks like the lighting is dim.

You may want to try to use flash and retry.

What mode were you using?
i.e. Av, Tv, M, or P ?
I can imagine one possibility is when shooting in Tv or P, you change ISO and aperture size reduces.
Try Av or M insteads.

I had my test with 50mm f1.8 as well and it shows that it has some consistency problem. 3 out of 10 time will have exteremely bad focus.

I'd recommend to use flash, 1/100s, and on a tripod for more controlled test environment.

Btw does anyone has picture of with their 50mm shot on test chart and faraway building? I suspect my camera has sensor calibration problem (or could be the lens too) which results in not so sharp image.

I'm using film and have taken many shots with my 50mm f1.8 II on different locations, if not i can show it over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.