Sharpness or more details

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris0804

Jun 1, 2009
Jakarta
Previously, I was using a 50D with the EF-S17-85 and had very good picture results. Encourage by this, decided to upgrade to the 24-70 f2.8L for better results. Regrettably, pictures was not too impressive using the 50D and the 24-70 f2.8L. Tried using the AF Microadjustment but it did not help much. Recently, I bought the 5D2, and took some pictures using the 24-70 f2.8L and was very impressed with the results. Pictures came out sharp, colour saturation is good and of course being able to get actual 24mm instead of it being cropped is another plus factor. My question is, with the 5D2 and 24-70 f2.8L combination due to compatibility issues or is it because of the larger sensor that I am getting more details in the photos?

Haven't use my 70-200 f2.8L IS with the 5D2 as yet because the marriage of the 24-70 f2.8L is still impressing me to no end. Your comments would be appreciated. Cheers

I guess you'd need to post actual shots for comparison for us to be able to comment on it? It might just be your hand shake due to the weight of the lens for the 70-200 on first guess. What mode are you shooting on?

Hi Zan82, I shoot mostly with AV. I have no problem with the weight of the 70-200. Fact is that I was referring to the 24-70 used on both 50D and the 5D2 with different results. Cheers

it has to do with the lens resolving power.
the more pixels the sensor packed into an area,
the more the lens has to produce to give u that sharp impression.

jude

Ok my bad. Read wrongly. I'm guessing that it's not calibrated to your 50D well previously. Still, if you were to post photos between the 17-85, 24-70 on 50D and 24-70 on 5D, it'd help us to determine possible reasons for the lack of sharpness/details?

Some lenses are designed more for FF versus cropped sensors. Dpreview noted that Canon's 70-200 2.8 IS was slightly 'better' on FF versus cropped while Nikon's equivalent, was more geared towards the cropped sensor.

Gentlemen, many thanks for your comments. I just thought that it was my imagination but I compared some of my previous pictures and compared those taken with the FF I was pleased with the results.

Hi Zan82, no worries but believe it or not, I have yet to find how to post pictures, new to this blah, blah.

I guess going FF is the right way to go but at a higher cost. At least now, I am happy with the investment I made on both my L lenses.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.